Full Specifications and Features
Full Specifications and Features
- Sensor Type
- 1/5.8 in (3.1 mm) back-illuminated Exmor R® CMOS sensor
- Effective Pixels (Video)
- approx. 2.29 Megapixels (16:9)
- Effective Pixels (Still Image)
- approx. 2.29 Megapixels (16:9)/approx. 1.71 Megapixels (4:3)
- Image Processor
- BIONZ X™ image processor
- Lens Type
- ZEISS® Vario-Tessar
- Lens Cover
- Focal Distance
- f=1.9–57.0 mm
- Focal Length (35 mm equivalent) (Video)
- f=26.8–804.0 mm (16:9)
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) (Still Image)
- f=26.8–804.0 mm (16:9), f=32.8–984.0 mm (4:3)
- Minimum Focus Distance
- approx. 13/32" (Wide), approx. 31 1/2" (Tele), approx. 1 cm (Wide), approx. 80 cm (Tele)
- Optical Zoom
- Clear Image Zoom
- Digital Zoom
- Screen Type
- 2.7 type (2.7") Clear Photo LCD display (230 x 400 dots) Wide (16:9)
- Brightness Control
- Yes (Menu)
- Marker/Grid Display
- Grid Line
- Angle Adjustment
- Opening Angle: max. 90 deg., Turning Angle: max. 270 deg.
- Image Stabilization Type
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Intelligent Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- Focus Type
- Contrast AF
- Focus Mode
- Focus Area
- Full range Focus
- Auto, Manual (Menu)
- Metering Modes
- LOW LUX Mode
- Auto Iris Control
- F1.8 - F10
- Manual Iris Control
- F1.8 - F10
- Backlight Compensation
- Yes (Auto)
- Gain Control
- Minimum Illumination
- Standard: 6 lux (1/30 Shutter Speed), Low Lux: 3 lux (1/30 Shutter Speed)
- Auto Control Range
- Manual Iris Control (Photo Mode)
- Manual Shutter
- White Balance Modes
- Media Type
- internal Flash Memory, XAVC S HD: Micro SDXC Memory Card (Class 10 or Higher), AVCHD, Still: Memory Stick Micro™ (Mark 2), Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card (Class 4 or Higher)
- Internal Media
- Flash Memory 8 GB
- Recording Format (Video)
- AVCHD format ver. 2.0 compatible: MPEG4-AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, XAVC S format MPEG4-AVC/H264
- Video Resolution
- AVCHD: 1920 x 1080/60p (PS), 60i (FX, FH), 1440 x 1080/60i (HQ, LP), MP4: 1280 x 720 30p, XAVC S HD: 1920 x 1080/60 p, 30 p
- Video Recording Rate (ABR / VBR)
- AVCHD PS: approx. 28 Mbps/FX: approx. 24 Mbps/FH: approx. 17 Mbps/HQ: approx. 9Mbps/LP: approx. 5 Mbps, MP4: approx. 3 Mbps, XAVC S HD: approx. 50 Mbps
- Recording Format (Still Image)
- JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver. 2.3, MPF Baseline-compliant)
- Still Image Size (Photo Mode)
- L: 9.2 Megapixels 16:9 (4032 x 2272), 6.9 Megapixels 4:3 (3024 x 2272), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920 x 1080), 0.3 Megapixels 4:3 (640 x 480)
- Still Image Size (Movie Mode)
- L: 9.2 Megapixels 16:9 (4032 x 2272), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- Still Image Size (Photo Capture)
- 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- Still Image Size (Dual Record)
- 9.2 Megapixels 16:9 (4032 x 2272), 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- Built-in Zoom Microphone
- Audio Recording Format
- Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo, Dolby Digital Stereo Creator, MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch, MPEG-4 Linear PCM 2ch(48 kHz/16 bit)
- Mic Level Control
- Yes (2steps)
- Monaural Speaker
- Scene Selection
- Auto/Night Scene/Sunrise & Sunset/Fireworks/Landscape/Portrait/Spotlight/Beach/Snow
- Other Features
- Face Detection, Fader Effect(s) (White/Black), Intelligent Auto (Portrait/Baby/Walk/Tripod/Backlight/Landscape/Spotlight/Twilight/Macro/Low light), Smile Shutter (Off/Dual Capture/Always On)
- Fast Playback
- About 5 times/10 times/30 times/60 times
- Slow Playback
- Forward: 1/5 speed, Reverse: 1/2 speed
- Highlight Movie Maker
- Yes , Highlight BGM (Preinstalled 6 music files, Music transfer compatible
- Motion Shot Video
- Slide Show (Still Image)
- Yes (Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz band))
- Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible)
- Live Streaming
- Multi Camera Control
Terminal / Shoe
- HDMI Terminal
- Yes (HDMI micro)
- Remote Terminal
- integrated into Multi Terminal
- STD Output
- Composite Video Out (AV CABLE (sold separately))
- Memory Card Slot
- Memory Stick Micro™ and Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible
- Battery Type
- Power Consumption (LCD)
- HD: 2.1W
- Power Requirements
- 3.6 V (battery pack), 5.0 V (AC Adapter)
- Charge on Camcorder (charging time with supplied battery)
- Yes (approx. 2h 35min)
- USB Charging
- DC 5 V 800 mA
- USB Power Supply
- Yes (Recording/Playback (supplied AC Adapter AC-UUD11))/(Playback (not supplied AC Adapter limiting 500 mA))
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D) (including supplied battery)
- approx. 2 1/4" (W) × 2 3/8" (H) × 5 1/8" (D), approx. 54.0 mm (W) × 59.5 mm (H) × 128.0 mm (D)
- Weight (main unit only)
- approx. 6.7 oz, approx. 190 g
- Weight (including supplied battery)
- approx. 7.6 oz (NP-BX1), approx. 215 g (NP-BX1)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack (NP-BX1) (1), AC Adapter (1), USB Connection Support Cable (1), HDMI (micro) Cable (1), Operating Guide (1)
Optical SteadyShot™ with Intelligent Active Mode
Advanced image stabilization keeps footage blur-free, even when the recording circumstances or the user's hands are shaky.
Up to 26.8 mm wide-angle lens
Whether you’re shooting movies or still images, the class-leading wide angle lens can help you capture more of landscapes shots and indoor scenes, when you don't have enough room to step back. Even without a wide conversion lens, selected camcorders shoot as wide as 26.8 mm (16:9 aspect ratio) in movie mode.
Exceptional image quality
The high-bitrate XAVC S format is for videographers ready to take their work to the next level. Delivering incredible quality, XAVC S is built from the XAVC format used by professional filmmakers and broadcasters, while employing intelligent data compression to export consumer-friendly file sizes.
Multi Camera Control
More shots means more interesting editing. Connected cameras can easily record footage from a variety of angles, whether mounted directly to the HDR-CX440 or triggered wirelessly. Multi Camera Control makes it easy to sync shooting settings on all devices.
Highlight Movie Maker
A versatile tool to streamline movie editing, Highlight Movie Maker offers several time-saving features. Add highlight markers to key moments while recording, and let the software automatically sync your transitions to your chosen soundtrack.
Live Streaming via Ustream®
From performances to sports events, some things are best seen in real time. Share scenes as they happen with high-quality picture and sound.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing the Imaging Edge Mobile app on your NFC-enabled Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish a wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Motion Shot Video
Motion Shot Video plays a sequence of superimposed images that trace recorded action in split-second intervals for you to analyze in detail on the LCD screen. During playback, you can adjust the interval or pause to capture and share a still image.
Built-in USB cable
The built-in USB cable stowed in the hand strap is very convenient for extra-quick charging and connection to a PC, so there is no need to pack a bulky extra USB cable or AC adapter. For charging without a PC, use a compact AC-USB adapter (optional).
Exmor R® CMOS sensor
This large, cutting-edge sensor enhances image clarity, reduces noise in dark environments, and enables soft background defocusing.
BIONZ X™ image processor
The advanced BIONZ X™ image processing engine helps achieve more naturally vivid and lifelike image quality as well as faster processing capabilities.
Sharing a commitment to outstanding performance and design, Sony and Carl Zeiss® co-develop lenses that combine the best possible optics with premium-quality electronics and sensor technology for Sony’s Handycam® models.
9.2 MP still image capture
Sometimes you don’t need—or want—video. Put your video camera in still image mode and capture amazing high-quality 9.2-megapixel single images as easily as you do with a still camera.
Clear movies containing twice the image data of movies recorded in interlace mode can be recorded in Full HD at 60p/50p in progressive recording mode. The images are as smooth as those shot at 60/50 frames per second, and each frame is recorded as one full picture, so a still captured from a movie recorded in progressive mode looks extra sharp.
Dual Video Recording
Record two movies at the same time — one in the maximum-quality XAVC S or AVCHD format and another in MP4 format. That way you’ve got a small file ready for instant sharing, plus a professional-grade file for further editing.
Dual Record mode
Dual Record mode enables you to shoot HD video and high-resolution still images simultaneously to capture the best shot in both ways.
This automatically optimizes focus, exposure and color for best results. Select someone to be prioritized simply by touching their face on the LCD display, which is useful for selecting a key person when shooting at a crowded event. Even if the subject leaves the frame, they will be remembered and prioritized upon re-entering the scene.
This feature automatically determines the type of scene being shot and optimizes a combination of settings from three groups (Face, Scene, Camera shake). It provides the best results for 90 scene types, even at night and in backlit scenes. Selected settings are displayed as icons on the LCD screen for easy reference.
Because great smiles are fleeting, this feature ensures they’re never lost. Automatically capture snapshots of smiling faces, even while recording video.
Give free reign to your imagination. Picture Effect expands movie and photo enjoyment by letting you add up to seven creative effects (Partial Color, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, High Contrast Mono, Toy Camera, Pop Color, Posterization) without troublesome editing on a computer.
Manual settings for iris and shutter speed
This camcorder gives you the freedom to choose manual settings for iris and shutter speed control, ideal for shooting under backlit and underexposed conditions as well as in other situations.
For easy browsing and playback, this Handycam® plays back GUI group videos and still images that have been recorded as separate events. You can choose from different display schemes from event view or index view as needed, for better organization, searching, viewing, and sharing of your personal content.
Dual memory card compatibility
This Handycam® camcorder has slots for Memory Stick Micro™ and Micro SD/SDHC cards, so you can conveniently record to whichever one is more readily available.
X type battery operation
Use an extra-light, extra-compact X type battery to minimize the overall size and weight of this Handycam® in operation.