Full Specifications and Features
Full Specifications and Features
- Lens Mount
- Sony E-mount lenses
- Lens Compatibility
- Sony E-mount lenses, Sony A-mount lenses with optional LA-EA adapter
- Sensor Type
- Full Frame Exmor™ CMOS sensor
- 35 mm full frame Exmor® CMOS sensor
- Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- 12.2 MP
- Image Sensor Aspect Ratio
- 3 : 2
Recording (still images)
- Image Size (pixels), 3:2
- 35 mm full frame L: 4240 x 2832 (12M), M: 2768 x 1848 (5.1M), S: 2128 x 1416 (3.0M), APS-C L: 2768 x 1848 (5.1M), M: 2128 x 1416 (3.0M), S: 1376 x 920 (1.3M)
- Image Size (pixels), 16:9
- 35 mm full frame L: 4240 x 2384 (10M), M: 2768 x 1560 (4.3M), S: 2128 x 1200 (2.6M), APS-C L: 2768 x 1560 (4.3M), M: 2128 x 1200 (2.6M), S: 1376 x 776 (1.1M)
- Image Quality Modes
- RAW, RAW & JPEG, JPEG Extra fine, JPEG Fine, JPEG Standard
- Recording Format
- AVCHD 2.0 / MP4 / XAVC S (up to 1920 x 1080/50p 28 Mbps)
- Video Compression
- AVCHD: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, XAVC S: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Image Size (pixels), NTSC*
- AVCHD: 1920 x 1080 (60p/28 Mbps/PS, 60i/24 Mbps/FX, 60i/17 Mbps/FH, 24p/24 Mbps/FX, 24p/17 Mbps/FH), MP4: 1440 x 1080 (30 fps/12 Mbps), 640 x 480 (30 fps/3 Mbps), XAVC S: 1920 x 1080 (60p/50 Mbps, 30p/50 Mbps, 24p/50 Mbps), 1280 x 720 (120p/50 Mbps)
- Movie Functions
- Audio Level Display, Audio Rec Level, Auto Slow Shutter, HDMI info. Display (On/Off selectable), Time Code/User Bit, Clean HDMI output for 4K, Picture Profile, Creative Style, Picture Effect, Rec Control, Dual Video Rec, Marker Setting
- Compatible Recording Media
- Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant)
- Storage Media Slot
- Multi-card reader for Memory Stick Duo/SD memory cards
- White Balance Modes
- Auto WB, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent (Warm White / Cool White / Day White / Daylight), Flash, Color Temperature (2500 to 9900 K) and Color Filter (G7 to M7: 15 steps, A7 to B7: 15 steps), Custom, Underwater
- AWB Micro Adjustment
- G7 to M7 (15 steps), A7 to B7 (15 steps)
- Focus Type
- Contrast-detection AF
- Focus Point
- 25 points
- Focus Sensitivity Range
- EV -4 to EV 20 (at ISO 100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- AF Mode
- Single-shot AF (AF-S), Continuous AF (AF-C), Direct Manual Focus (DMF), Manual Focus
- Focus Area
- Wide (25 points) / Center-weighted / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) / Zone
- Metering Type
- 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Sensitivity
- EV -3 to EV 20 (at ISO 100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Metering Mode
- Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot
- Exposure Modes
- AUTO (iAUTO, Superior Auto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Scene Selection, Sweep Panorama, Movie
- ISO Sensitivity (Recommended Exposure Index)
- Expanded ISO Sensitivity Range ISO 50-409600*1
- Viewfinder Type
- 0.5" electronic viewfinder (color)
- Approx. 0.71x (with 50 mm lens at infinity, -1m)
- Monitor Type
- 3.0 in type TFT LCD
- Total Number of Dots
- 921,600 dots
- Brightness Control (LCD)
- Manual ( 5 steps between -2 and +2 ), Sunny Weather mode
- Focus Magnifier
- 35 mm full frame: 4.2x, 8.3x, APS-C: 2.7x, 5.4x
- Peaking MF
- Yes (Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off, Color: White/Red/Yellow)
- Clear Image Zoom
- Still / Movie: Approx. 2x
- PlayMemories Camera Apps™
- Lens Compensation
- Peripheral shading, chromatic aberration, distortion
- Image Processor
- BIONZ X™
- Shutter Type
- Electronically controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Shutter Speed
- Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4 (1/3 step), up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto Slow Shutter mode), Still images: 1/8000 to 30 s, Bulb
- Electronic Front Curtain Shutter
- Silent Shooting
- Yes (On/Off)
- Not supported (image stabilization supported on lens)
- Drive Modes
- 3/5 exposures selectable), Bracketing (Cont., Single, White Balance, DRO), Single shooting, Continuous shooting, Speed Priority Continuous shooting, Self-timer (10/2 s delay selectable), Self-timer (Cont.) (10 s delay
- Continuous Drive Speed (approx. max.)
- 5 fps (in Speed Priority Continuous Shooting mode)
- PC Interface
- Mass-storage, MTP, PC remote
- HD Output
- HDMI micro connector (Type-D), BRAVIA Sync (link menu), PhotoTV HD, 4K still image playback
- Multi Interface Shoe
- Microphone terminal (1/8 in stereo minijack), Headphone terminal (1/8 in stereo minijack), vertical grip connector
- Auto-lock Accessory Shoe
- Autolock Accessory Shoe compatible with supplied shoe adapter
- Headphone minijack, Microphone minijack, Multi/Micro USB Terminal, Multi Interface Shoe, Vertical Grip Connector
- Built-in stereo microphone or ECM-XYST1M / XLR-K1M (sold separately)
- Built-in, monaural
- Supplied Battery
- NP-FW50 W-series Rechargeable Battery Pack
- Battery Life (Still Images)
- Up to 380 shots
- Battery Life (CIPA, Movies)
- Actual: Approx. 55 min with viewfinder, approx. 60 min with LCD screen (CIPA standard), Continuous: Approx. 90 min with viewfinder, approx. 90 min with LCD screen (CIPA standard)
- External Power
- AC adapter AC-PW20 (optional)
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 5 x 3 3/4 x 2 1/4", 5 x 3 3/4 x 1 15/16" (from grip to monitor); 126.9 x 94.4 x 54.8 mm, 126.9 x 94.4 x 48.2 mm (from grip to monitor)
- Weight (with battery and memory card included)
- 15.73 oz (body only) / 17.25 oz (with battery and media)
- 32–104°F / 0–40°C
WiFi® & NFC
- Wireless & Network Capabilities
- Downloadable Camera Apps, NFC One-touch functionality, Wi-Fi®
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery (NP-FW50)
- Cable Protector
- AC Adaptor (AC-UUD11)
- Battery charger (BC-TRW)
- Shoulder strap
- Body cap
- Accessory shoe cap
- Eyepiece cup
- Micro USB cable
12.2 MP 35 mm full-frame sensor gives top image quality
A huge 35 mm full-frame sensor offers 50 times more surface area than in conventional compact camera sensors. The larger surface area means vastly better sensitivity for low-light shooting as well as fine control over depth of field. Paired with great optics, Sony's full-frame sensor is ideal for creative, commercial, and landscape photography.
Ultra-high sensitivity up to ISO 409600
Expand your still and movie capabilities with ultra-high sensitivity from ISO 50 to 409,600 for still images and 100 to 409,600 for movies. High ISO lets you shoot without unnatural flash illumination and use faster shutter speeds (to freeze motion) even in low light—ideal for sports on overcast days.
BIONZ® X for superior detail and texture
Everything a digital camera needs to convert light captured by its sensor into a beautiful digital photograph. The engine that powers this conversion is just as important as the lens and high-resolution sensor—so Sony developed the remarkable BIONZ®(tm) X processor. It gives you more natural detail, more realistic images, richer tonal gradations, and lower noise when shooting either photos or movies.
High-quality video with the XAVC S format
The high-bitrate XAVC S format is for videographers ready to take their work to the next level. Delivering incredible quality, XAVC S is built from the XAVC format used by professional moviemakers and broadcasters and uses intelligent data compression to offer consumer-friendly editing and file sizes.
Multiple recording formats provide video versatility
Shoot to suit, with a range of video formats available. Capture using the high-bitrate AVCHD or XAVC S codec for editing and playback on big screens; or choose MP4 mode for quick uploading and sharing. Capture motion at up to 24p frame rates for dramatic slow motion effects.
Full-frame moviemaking capability
Professional-quality moviemaking in the palm of your hand. Capture stunning images, even in low light thanks to the premium Exmor® CMOS sensor. Then enjoy the flexibility to add external audio capture plus off-board video monitoring and recording, all designed to put professional creation within the reach of all.
Clean HDMI output
Monitor and capture uncompressed video using the clean HDMI output. Simultaneously record video to onboard memory cards in playback-friendly compressed formats, as well as to an external recorder in your choice of formats and bitrates, for ultimate professional production flexibility.
Professional gamma setting
S-Log2 is a proprietary Sony gamma setting featured in commercial video equipment and incorporated here. Invaluable to professionals seeking postproduction flexibility, this preset Picture Profile offers up to 14 stops of dynamic range—enough latitude to capture all the detail in both deep shadow and bright sunlight.
Pro-level time code and user bit video functions
An essential tool on multi-camera shoots, timecode dramatically speeds up editing when several cameras need to be synchronized. Record Run, which advances timecode only while recording, and Free Run, with continuous timecode advancement, are supported. In addition, the User Bit feature lets you add identifying information (such as scene and take numbers) alongside the timecode.
Picture Profile for preshoot settings
Fine-tune the look of your movies before shooting by adjusting gradation (black level, gamma, and black gamma), color (color mode, intensity, color tone, and depth), basic color (gamma and color mode), and more. Save adjusted parameters along with other settings as a profile. Store up to seven profiles for later use.
120 fps at HD resolution for super slo-mo video
When shooting movies in Super-35 mm equivalent (APS-C) crop mode, this camera supports 120 fps high-frame-rate shooting at HD resolution (1280 x 720 pixels). This remarkable capability broadens your expressive options because movie shots at this frame rate can be played back at 24p to create stunning 5x slow-motion effects.
Enhanced Fast Hybrid Autofocus captures action
Enhanced Fast Hybrid Autofocus (AF) consists of a number of features: Phase-detection AF (bringing the subject into focus), contrast-detection AF (fine-tuning focus points), and Spatial Object Detection (which estimates subject movement). They all work together seamlessly to let you capture a fast-moving subject with perfect sharpness.
See settings with the XGA OLED Tru-Finder
Preview your camera settings and effects in real time even when using the viewfinder. Unlike optical viewfinders, you can compose black-and-white photos or preview exposure adjustments before pressing the shutter. Plus, features like 100% frame coverage, wide viewing angle, information display modes, peaking function, and focus magnification significantly enhance how you shoot.
Complete antidust system
To keep your photos blemish free, an antidust mechanism vibrates ultrasonically whenever you switch off the camera, removing any particles adhering to the image sensor. Also, an antistatic coating helps prevent dust from settling on the sensor during lens changes.
Tilting LCD screen for flexible composition
High-resolution screen that tilts to allow perfect framing of otherwise impossible overhead or low-angle shots.
Audio recording and monitoring functions
During movie recording and playback, you can directly monitor sound using the built-in headphone jack. On-screen audio level monitoring is also available, or connect to professional microphones and audio mixers with the optional XLR terminal adapter kit.
High dust and moisture resistance
Durability-enhancing methods are engineered into the design, including sealing around the buttons and dials and a protective double-layered body structure that tightly interlocks panels and components.
Substantial, ergonomic grip
The α7s is 25% less bulky than leading DSLRs, but still features a full-size grip for all-day shooting comfort.
Strong and light magnesium alloy body
Thanks to magnesium alloy, the world's lightest structural metal, the α7s weighs 17.25 oz with battery—far lighter that other high-performance cameras—but has the durability for years of performance.
See your options: Quick Navi Pro and custom buttons
Quick Navi Pro displays all major shooting options on the LCD screen so you can rapidly confirm settings and make adjustments as desired without searching through dedicated menus. Button customization lets you shoot just the way you like, with frequently used functions assigned to the customizable buttons of your choice.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing Imaging Edge Mobile app to your NFC-enabled Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Capture One (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is free software for high-quality finishing of RAW data. Capture One Pro (for Sony) can be bought for compatible functions such as local adjustment and PC tethered shooting.
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
Imaging Edge™ Remote, Viewer, and Edit
Elevate your photography with Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use "Remote" to control and monitor shooting live on your PC screen; "Viewer" to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and "Edit" to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.