Full Specifications and Features
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 22.06 x 8.78 x 19.53
- Approx. 44 lb (20 kg)
- Display System
- 4K SXRD panel, projection system
- Display Resolution
- Computer signal input: Maximum display resolution: 1,920 x 1,080 dots (HDMI Input only)/Video signal input: 480/60p, 576/50p, 720/60p, 720/50p, 1080/60 i, 1080/50 i, 1080/60p,1080/50p, 1080/24p, 3840 x 2160/24p, 3840 x 2160/25p, 3840 x 2160/30p, 3840 x 2160/50p, 3840 x 2160/60p, 4096 x 2160/24p, 4096 x 2160/25p, 4096 x 2160/30p, 4096 x 2160/50p, 4096 x 2160/60p
- Light source
- Laser diode
- Contrast ratio
- ∞: 1 (Dynamic Contrast)
- Effective Imager Size
- 0.74" x 3
- Effective pixels
- 26,542,080 (4096 x 2160 x 3) pixels
- Projection lens shift
- Vertical: +85% -80% Horizontal: +/-31%
- SCREEN SIZE
- 60" to 300"/1,524 mm to 7,620 mm (diag.)
- Projection lens zoom / focus
- Powered (Approx. x2.06)
- Input and Output Terminals
- HDMI (2 INPUTS)*1 - Digital RGB/Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr, IR IN - Minijack, LAN - RJ45, 10Base-T/100BASE-TX, REMOTE - RS-232C, D-sub 9-pin (male), TRIGGER (2 INPUTS) - Minijack, DC 12 V Max. 100 mA, USB - DC 5 V, Max. 500 mA
- Operating temperature / humidity
- 41 °F to 95 °F (5 °C to 35 °C)/20% to 80% (no condensation)
- Storage temperature / humidity
- 14°F to +140°F (-10°C to +60°C )/20% to 80% (no condensation)
- Acoustic noise
- 24 dB*2
- Power requirement
- AC 100 V to 240 V, 4.3 A to 1.8 A, 50/60 Hz
- Power consumption
- 430 W
- Light Output
- 2000 lm
- Color Light Output
- 2000 lm
Eco and energy saving
- Power Consumption (Standby Mode)
- 0.4 W (When "Remote Start" is set to "Off")
- Power Consumption (Networked Standby Mode)
- 1.0 W (LAN) (When "Remote Start" is set to "On") When a LAN terminal is not connected, it becomes a low power consumption mode (0.5 W).
- Standby Mode Activated
- After about ten minutes
- Both HDMI inputs are compatible with HDCP 2.2.
- This value is approximate. Depends on the projector setting condition and usage environment.
What's In The Box
- Remote Control (RM-PJ24)
- Size AA (R6) manganese batteries (2)
- AC Power Cord (1), Lens Cap (1)
- Operating Instructions (CD-ROM)
- Quick Reference Manual
- Safety Regulations (1)
Native 4K resolution for lifelike pictures
With more than four times the resolution of Full HD, native 4K offers 8.8 million pixels (4096 x 2160) for a picture that is incredibly lifelike, which is why it is the resolution defined by the DCI (Digital Cinema Initiative) for theater distribution. See corner-to-corner clarity and watch movies from much closer than you would in Full HD.
Motorized zoom lens and wide lens shift
Installing this projector in your room is easy with a 2.06 times motorized zoom with a wide lens shift range. Adjust the position of the projector up to 85% vertically and 31% horizontally to get just the right angle for your movies without creating image distortion or resolution loss.
Watch brightness for longer with a Z-Phosphor™ laser light
The VPL-VW885ES's ultra-pure, reliable, Sony-developed Z-Phosphor™ laser light source lets you enjoy perfectly clear 4K pictures with the right brightness level for a very long time. You can also get up to 20,000 hours of uninterrupted operation, with no lamp replacement and virtually zero maintenance.
Infinite dynamic contrast for stunning realism
A dynamic contrast of ∞:1 makes every scene spring to life with fine detail and realism. By adjusting the laser light output dynamically depending on the brightness of content scenes, both deep, inky blacks and vibrant color are achieved.
2,000 lumens for high brightness
Savor the action with up to 2,000 lumens of brightness, generated by Sony’s Z-Phosphor™ laser light source, for vibrant images even on screens up to 300"/762 cm (diag.).
Native 4K SXRD panel
The advanced SXRD panel technology featured in our digital theater projectors delivers native 4K (4096 x 2160) resolution images, with more than four times the detail of Full HD. Fine details are wonderfully clear and natural, without jagged edges or visible pixels.
See deeper blacks with 4K SXRD™ panels
Latest SXRD panels deliver even better contrast, as well as native 4K resolution. With SXRD projection, you'll see rich, inky blacks, clear cinematic motion and smooth images. Improvements to the reflective silicon layer now mean even better light control, for precisely delivered shadows and blacks.
The super-resolution Reality Creation
Sony's exclusive Reality Creation technology analyzes images right down to the pixel level. It then employs pattern-matching algorithms developed over years of movie production to enhance crispness even without increasing digital picture noise. It also upscales existing Full HD Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD movies to near 4K quality.
The powerful video processor in the VPL-VW885ES offers Motionflow™ for smooth and clear motion, even when viewing 4K content. Motionflow™ adds frames to reduce blur, while maintaining brightness, in fast-moving scenes. Cinema purists can choose True Theater mode to retain the original 24fps.
Colors come alive with TRILUMINOS™
Discover true-to-life colors and tones. The VPL-VW885ES incorporates TRILUMINOS™ color, reproducing more tones and textures than a standard projector system. Hard-to-reproduce crimson reds, aqua blues, and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better, too, with skin tones more faithfully reproduced.
HDR compatibility: every image comes to life
Get the most from your projector when viewing new UHD Blu-ray and streaming services with High Dynamic Range (HDR). HDR video offers a vastly expanded brightness range to deliver far more realistic, high-contrast images and brilliant colors. Compatible with both HDR10 and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) formats. Sony's home projectors reproduce color and contrast faithfully to creators' intentions.
Ready for immersive 3D
The VPL-VW885ES has a built-in 3D transmitter that supports 3D video in a variety of formats, and can even simulate your 2D movie classics to high-quality 3D immersive video. The optional glasses use an industry-standard RF connection, making it easy to upgrade to a 3D theater experience.
Future-proofed support for the latest HDMI standards
The VPL-VW885ES can project native 4K content at up to 60 frames per second, for even smoother images with superior color and realism. Support for HDCP 2.2 lets you enjoy the latest 4K movies and TV shows.
Select from nine picture calibration modes
Quickly calibrate the picture to what you’re watching or playing. Select from nine picture calibration modes, including two theater film modes, cinema digital, reference, TV, photo, game, bright cinema, and bright TV. An advanced Hue Saturation Value manual color tuning tool gives you even more control.
Picture Position Memory stores your settings
Store lens, zoom, and shift settings for up to five screen formats for easy recall. Picture Position Memory remembers key settings so you can quickly watch movies in the ideal format. Match aspect ratios, including 16:9 and Cinemascope, and store these settings in the projector.