- Click the Start button.
- In the Start Search or Search programs and files textbox, type all or part of the file or folder name.
- As you type the file or folder name, the start menu will populate with possible matches.
- The results are shown in categories, such as Programs, Files, and Favorites.
- If you are trying to find a file or folder in a system directory, follow the procedure below to include the system directories in the search results.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss or software corruption if you change, delete, or move system files or directories.
- Click the Start button and then click Computer.
- In the Computer window, on the menu bar, click the Organize button and then click Folder and Search Options.
- In the Folder Options window, click the Search tab.
- On the Search tab, under When searching non-indexed locations, click to check the box next to Include system directories.
- Click the OK button.