Before you start
- To import videos from tape camcorders, refer to our Tape Camcorder importing guide.
- To transfer photos and videos to a Macintosh computer by USB connection, refer to the How to transfer videos and pictures to a Macintosh computer with PlayMemories Home (for Mac) article.
- To transfer photos and videos to a Windows computer by Wi-Fi® connection, refer to Wi-Fi import for Windows
- To transfer photos and videos to a Macintosh computer by Wi-Fi connection, refer to Wi-Fi import for Mac
Follow these steps to transfer photos and videos from a Handycam® camcorder, Cyber-shot® camera, or α (Alpha) camera to a Windows computer using PlayMemories Home™ software:
- Download and install the PlayMemories Home software on your computer.
- Insert a fully charged battery into your device camera and then turn it on.
- Connect the camera to the computer using the supplied or built-in USB cable.
- Replacement USB cables and other accessories can be ordered.  Go to Parts and Accessories.
- A USB cable made by another manufacturer may prevent authentication or importation of photos.
- Connect the camera to the computer's USB port directly. Using a USB hub may cause an error.
- Tap USB Select if it shows up on the camera display.
- Some camcorder models such as HDR-CX7, HDR-CX12, HDR-SR7, and HDR-SR8 don't have a built-in USB port. Connect the camera through the supplied Handycam Station.
- The computer should automatically install the USB driver the first time it's connected.
- Perform device authentication.
- Click OK if To use (model name) with PlayMemories Home, the USB operation mode must be changed. Do you want to continue? is displayed.
- Check This is my camera and click on OK to close the dialog.
- If you own several cameras and functions have already been added to PlayMemories Home, the Added Functions field of the dialog may be empty.
- Check the connection to the computer if the device authentication fails.
- If importing photos or movies by inserting the memory card directly into the computer, device authentication (activation) must still be performed the first time. Once device authentication is completed, you will be able to import photos and videos by inserting the memory card directly into your computer.
- If device authentication has already been performed, skip this procedure and continue the next step.
- When PlayMemories Home recognizes the camera, the dialog Thank you for purchasing (model name) is displayed.
- If (model name) is connected. Do you want to display the features to this camera or media? is displayed, click on Yes to close the dialog.
- PlayMemories Home will start automatically.
- Under Cameras and media, the name of your camera will be displayed. Select your camera and click Import Media Files to display the photo and video importing menu interface.
- Choose Import new files or Select files to import.
Note: When importing AVCHD/MPEG2 movies, device authentication must be performed for a Sony-manufactured camera compatible with the AVCHD/MPEG2-format. For details, refer to the AVCHD and MPEG-2 movies cannot be imported using PlayMemories Home article.
- Import all photos and videos
Note: Check Import new files to import all newly recorded photos and videos, excluding already imported ones.
- Import selected photos and videos
- Check Select files to import to display thumbnail images stored in the camera or memory card.
- Put a checkmark in the checkbox of the thumbnail images you want to import.
- Import all photos and videos
- Confirm import settings.
- In the photo and video importing window, the import drive, the folder for imported videos and photos, and Settings button are displayed.
- Select a destination drive from the drop-down list. Click Browse to select a destination folder.
- Click the Import button to start importing videos and photos.