IMPORTANT: Before beginning this procedure, download and install any updated drivers that may be available. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the audio status after completing each step.
- If an application is in use that has its own volume control, check that the volume is turned up.
- Make sure the speakers are connected properly.
- If available, use a different set of speakers or headphones.
- If a different set of speakers works, the issue was caused by a problem with the original speakers. If this is the case, contact the manufacturer of the original speakers for further assistance.
- The speakers should be connected to the headphone jack on most VAIO® computers.
- On some notebook computer models when the computer is connected to the docking station or port replicator, the internal speakers are disabled.
- If the speakers have a volume control, make sure the volume is turned up.
- If the computer has a volume control dial on the monitor, make sure this is turned up.
NOTE: On models with integrated speakers, the volume dial is located on the side of the unit.
- Make sure the speakers are turned on.
- If the speakers have a mute button, make sure it is off.
- If the speakers are powered by batteries, check that the batteries are inserted properly and that they are charged.
- Make sure the volume controls are turned up and not muted in the operating system.
- If the computer is a notebook, press Fn + F4, and then press the ARROW keys to increase the volume.
NOTE: Some notebooks computers have external audio controls, refer the User Guide for location of controls.
- Make sure the windows audio service is set to run automatically and the service status is started.
- Reset the system BIOS.
- Perform a system restore to a date when the program was working.
- Reinstall the device driver for sound by removing the existing driver in Device Manager and restarting the computer.
NOTE: Updated and original device drivers can be downloaded from the Sony® Support website. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Perform a system recovery of the computer.
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required. Go to Product Repair.