How to upgrade a computer that shipped with the Windows 2000 Professional operating system to the Windows XP Professional operating system.
- Download all updates in advance and save them to the hard drive for later installation.
- Sony strongly recommends using the default Windows® XP Professional operating system installation option to upgrade the Windows® 2000 Professional operating system. This will allow the majority of the existing configuration settings and options to be imported to the new operating system.
- Sony does not support dual boot configurations.
- The Windows XP Professional operating system must be installed in the C:\Windows\ folder.
- When a clean install of the Windows XP Professional Edition operating system is installed on a VAIO® computer, all the drivers from the Driver Recovery CD (DRCD) must be installed, including the Sony Shared Library, before the Application Recovery CD (ARCD) can be accessed.
- Sony will only support the upgrade of VAIO computers bundled with the Windows 2000 Professional or XP Home Edition operating system to the Windows XP Professional Edition operating system.
- Only hardware, software and drivers provided by Sony will be supported. Operating system support will only be provided for VAIO computers bundled with the Windows XP Professional operating system, or that have the Sony supplied Windows XP operating system upgrade installed.
- Remove any external peripheral devices, such as game controllers, cameras, printers, or docking stations.
- These devices can then be installed one at a time after the operating system has been fully upgraded.
- Ensure the computer is off and removed from power prior to removing any external peripheral devices.
- Download and install any available BIOS updates .
- Perform the Windows XP Professional operating system upgrade.
- Download and install all available Device Driver Updates, Sony Software Libraries, and Sony Applications and Utilities .