If the Walkman® player has no power, does not turn on, turns off immediately or does not function properly, there may be a problem with the power or there may be an incorrect setting, Follow these steps to try to resolve this issue:
IMPORTANT: If model-specific information is needed to complete any of these steps, refer to the instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the unit after completing each step.
- Make sure that the HOLD switch is not activated.
- Verify that the media compartment lid is firmly closed (if applicable).
- If using an AC power adapter, ensure the adapter is securely connected and plugged into a working power outlet.
NOTE: Not all players and recorders are provided with an AC power adapter.
- If using batteries, make sure they are fully charged or replace them with new ones.
- Not all portable players and recorders have replaceable or removable batteries.
- If the player/recorder has a battery switch, verify that the switch is set to the ON position.
- If the battery for your player is recharged while the player is connected to a computer, make sure that the USB adapter is securely connected and plugged into a working USB port.
- Attempt to turn on the power.
IMPORTANT: If you try turning the unit on right after turning the unit off, the player will not start due to the shut down processing. Wait for a few seconds before trying to turn the power back on.
NOTE: If the issue has been resolved, no further troubleshooting is required. Otherwise, continue following the steps below.
- If applicable, remove the battery and AC power adapter, or slide the battery switch to the OFF position for 30 seconds.
- Reinsert the battery, reconnect the AC power adapter, or slide the battery switch back to the ON position.
- Attempt to power on the unit.
- Reset the portable player. If the unit starts up after the reset, access the Settings menu and initialize the unit using the Format (initialize) function.
- The player may contain moisture condensation. Wait a few hours to let the player dry.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.