IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
The Recovery Media Kit can be used to change the RAID configuration of the computer, remove the Recovery Drive, or restore the Recovery Drive, then perform a system recovery. Follow this procedure to perform a system recovery using the Recovery Media Kit.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. All software applications, configurations, and data added to the restored drives will be erased.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. Licensed content, such as movies acquired from the VAIO® Movie Experience CD supplied with select models, will no longer be playable if the license information is not backed up prior to a system recovery, and restored afterward .
- Before performing a recovery, go to the Sony® eSupport Web site, download and install all available software and driver updates, and check for knowledge base solutions that may help you solve your computer issue. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- This model does not use Recovery CDs. Recovery data is loaded from the Recovery Media Kit and saved to a special partition of the hard drive.
Sony Electronics is no longer permitted to sell system recovery media for VAIO PCs that shipped with operating systems released prior to Windows 7. If you have not created a set of Recovery Media, or if the Recovery Media has been lost or misplaced, please contact Best Buy for VAIO PC repair and recovery options at 1-800-433-5778.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process. Notebook computers must be connected to the AC adapter.
- Close all open programs.
- Disconnect all network connections.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices.
- If the computer includes a floppy disk drive, remove any floppy disk from the drive.
- If the computer uses an external CD/DVD drive, plug in the drive according to the instructions in the VAIO User Guide. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Turn on the computer.
- Insert the first disc of the Recovery Media Kit into the CD/DVD drive.
- Turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer.
- In the VAIO Recovery Wizard window, click the Next button.
NOTE: If a No C Drive found dialog box appears, click the OK button.
- Under Recovery Options, click to select the desired option to continue with a system recovery:
- A C Drive Recovery will return the (C:) drive to its original, factory-installed state. All software and data on the (C:) drive will be erased. If there is a (D:) drive, it is unaffected.
- A Custom Recovery provides options for changing the RAID configuration, performing a complete recovery of the hard drive including the recovery partition, or a complete recovery of the hard drive after removing the recovery partition.