Follow the steps below to troubleshoot this issue.
IMPORTANT: If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Ensure the Mute function has not been activated.
- Try turning up the volume level.
- Try setting the receiver to a different Surround Sound mode.
IMPORTANT: Make sure the disc is encoded with Surround Sound audio. If not, the audio will be very difficult to hear using a Surround Sound setting. Set the Surround Sound setting to OFF when viewing discs that are not encoded with a Surround Sound signal.
- Check the speakers to make sure they are properly connected to the receiver.
- Perform a test tone function to verify if the speakers are working correctly.
- Ensure all external audio sources are securely connected to the appropriate inputs on the receiver.
NOTE: If the audio is being sent from a television to the receiver, then it may be necessary to disable the internal speakers of the TV or set the audio output of the TV to FIXED or VARIABLE. If the audio output of the TV is set to VARIABLE, then you will need to increase the volume level of TV.
- Ensure the correct audio input is selected on the receiver.
- Ensure no headphones are connected.
- Ensure the Demonstration Mode is not active.
- Change the ATTENUATE setting.
- Reset the receiver back to factory specifications.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.