It takes about 4 hours to fully charge the battery using the AC wall charger and about 6 hours when charging via USB from your computer.
- The lightning bolt symbol that appears next to the battery icon [FIG. 1] on the display of the Reader™ digital book is an indication that the Reader is connected to AC power and is charging the battery properly. If the lightning bolt symbol is not present, double check the AC Adapter to ensure that the Reader is properly connected.
- The lightning bolt symbol will not be displayed when charging via a USB connection.
- When charging the battery via the AC Adapter or USB connection, allow the Reader to charge until the battery charge indicator light (located above the power switch) goes off. The battery icon on the display of the Reader will always show full when connected to AC power even when the battery is not fully charged.
- Due to the nature of the E Ink electronic display technology, the LCD can retain an image without having power. Turning the page is the only time power is consumed. If the Reader's power is drained, the LCD will retain the last image that was displayed, thus making it appear like the Reader is frozen and in some instances it will not have enough power to perform other operations such as turning on or off.
- Battery life can be affected by operating temperatures below 41 degrees F, lack of use, or if the battery has not been given enough time to fully charge.
- If the Reader has not been used for an extended period of time, repeatedly charging and discharging will improve the efficiency of the battery.
- If the battery life still seems short, service may be required to replace the battery. The Sony® eService Web site at http://eservice.sony.com/ can assist you in obtaining service from a Sony Service Center or locating a Sony Authorized Servicer.