Instead of using the tripod socket on your camera, it is normally recommended to use the socket on the lens mount adapter when connecting a tripod. When connecting a smaller prime or wide-angle lens, this helps distribute weight more evenly and reduces stress on the lens mount of the camera.
However, for large telephoto lenses like those listed below do not use the tripod socket on the lens mount adapter. Connect the tripod to the tripod socket on the lens itself.
- 70-200mm F2.8G (SAL70200G)
- 70-200mm F2.8G SSM II (SAL70200G2)
- 70-400mm F4-5.6G SSM (SAL70400G)
- 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II (SAL70400G2)
- 300mm F2.8G (SAL300F28G)
- 300mm F2.8 G SSM II (SAL300F28G2)
- 500mm F4 G SSM (SAL500F40G)