This article provides basic information, how-to, and troubleshooting information when using the Amazon Alexa™ app with your HT-Z9F soundbar.
What is Alexa?
It's an Amazon cloud-based voice service.
What can I do on my soundbar with Amazon Alexa?
You can do the following operations on your soundbar through voice commands on Amazon Alexa-enabled devices:
- Playback or stop the music.
- Go to the previous or next track.
- Set the volume control.
What are the requirements to use it?
You will need the following in order to use your soundbar with Alexa:
- An Amazon account.
- An Amazon Alexa-enabled device.
- Devices such as Amazon Echo™, Echo Dot™, Echo Plus speakers, etc.
- A mobile device.
- A device that can connect to Apple® App Store® or Google Play™ store to perform initial setup with an Amazon Alexa-enabled device.
- A home network with Wi-Fi® (wireless) capabilities.
- The Music center app.
Get notified about firmware updates, products alerts and more with the Support By Sony app.
What streaming music services are compatible with the Amazon Alexa function?
The following streaming music services are compatible with this function:
- Amazon Music
- You may be required to activate the account link and skills on the Alexa app, depending on the streaming music service.
- Because of decisions made by the various music service providers, the available music services may change without notice.
- Playback and input switching commands for USB files aren't supported.
- Spotify doesn't support Alexa Multi-Room Music.
Can I use Amazon Alexa functions without Amazon Alexa-enabled devices?
You need an Amazon Alexa-enabled device to use the Amazon Alexa function. This function isn't available in countries and regions where Amazon Alexa-enabled devices aren't sold.
How do I perform the initial setup to use the Amazon Alexa function?
- Install the Music Center app to your smartphone.
- Connect the smartphone and soundbar to the same network.
- On your smartphone, open the Music Center app.
- Perform the initial setup and follow the on-screen instructions.
What voice commands do I use with Alexa?
You must give preset voice commands to Amazon Alexa-enabled devices. You can say the following voice commands:
- "Play music on the soundbar"
- "Play some Jazz music on the soundbar"
- "Play Bruno Mars on the soundbar"
- "Turn up the volume on the soundbar"
- "Turn down the volume on the soundbar"
- "Stop the music on the soundbar"
- "Play on the soundbar"
- "Play song on the soundbar"
- "Stop on the soundbar"
- "Next on the soundbar"
- "Previous on the soundbar"
- "Pause on the soundbar"
- "Pause music on the soundbar"
How do I unregister my device from Alexa?
Sign out from the Alexa setting of the Music Center app.
How do I use Multi-Room Music with the Alexa function?
- On your smartphone, launch the Alexa app.
- Create Multi-Room Music Speaker Group from Amazon Alexa device settings and register the soundbar.
- Visit the Amazon Support Website for more information.
- The Amazon Alexa-enabled devices don't respond to my voice commands
- Music Center app initial setup fails
- My Amazon Alexa-enabled device can't find my soundbar after the initial setup
- Your Amazon Alexa device says "Sorry, the device is offline"
- Can't cancel the soundbar registration from the Alexa app.
- Sign out from the Alexa setting of the Music Center app.
Deezer doesn't play correctly.
Make sure your soundbar system has the latest software installed. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
The playback screen of the device doesn't display the correct song information when using the Amazon Alexa Multi-Room Music function.
The song data may not be available depending on the devices and music services using the Alexa Multi-Room Music function. So, the playback screen shows the previous song information or it won't display the song data.