What are the USB data transfer rates and specifications?
The Universal Serial Bus (USB) specification stipulates five data transfer rates:
- USB 1.0/Low-Speed: 1.5 Megabits per second (Mbps)
- USB 1.1/Full-Speed: 12 Mbps
- USB 2.0/Hi-Speed: 480 Mbps
- USB 3.0/SuperSpeed: 5 Gbps
- USB 3.1/SuperSpeed: 10 Gbps
When connecting devices with different USB versions, the data transfer rate will be limited by the slowest of the connected devices. This means that data transfer will occur at 12 Mbps when you connect a USB 2.0 device to a USB 1.1 device, even though the USB 2.0 device is capable of transferring data at 480 Mbps.
NOTE: More information is available on the Universal Serial Bus Website.