What is the difference between the Imaging Edge Webcam software and the USB streaming function?
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
When connected to a compatible camera, the USB streaming function offers the following:
- Enhanced video resolution (depending on the camera).
- Audio streaming through the camera microphone.
- Direct USB connection without streaming software such as Imaging Edge Webcam.
- Power to the camera can be supplied by the computer.
Comparison between Imaging Edge Webcam and USB streaming:
|Streaming Method||Software Required||Video||Audio||Resolution|
|Imaging Edge Webcam||Yes||MJPEG||No - Must use an external or the computer's microphone.||1024 x 576 pixels|
|USB Streaming||No||MJPEG or YUV420||
Yes - Camera's built-in microphone.
LPCM 48 kHz, 16 bit, 2ch
4k(2160p, HD(1080p), or HD(720p)
- Update the ZV-1 or DSC-RX0M2 camera to the latest firmware version to ensure USB streaming compatibility.
- To allow streaming for longer periods of time, you can charge the camera with the connected computer or use the USB power or USB Power Delivery feature of your camera. A sufficiently charged battery has to be in the camera and does not charge while using USB power or power from the computer.
- If your camera has a USB Power Supply option, set it to ON.
- Refer to the Supplying power from a wall outlet section of your camera Help Guide for additional information.
- Not all cameras allow USB streaming video resolution setting changes, so refer to the Livestreaming video and audio (USB Streaming) section of your camera Help Guide for resolution information.
- Applications that utilize the USB streaming feature may not work with all video resolution settings or allow changes. Refer to your application instruction guide to verify compatible resolution settings.
- We can't guarantee operation of non-Sony applications.
If you need information on setup steps, select your preferred streaming method: