Sony® DVD Handycam® DVD+RW 8cm Disc Frequently Asked Questions for VAIO® Computers
VAIO® Computer Compatibility
These questions are applicable to DVD+RW discs recorded on the following DVD Handycam Models: DCR-DVD92, DVR-DVD103, DVR-DVD203, DVR-DVD403, DCR-DVD7.
1.1 Will 8cm DVD+RW discs recorded by the DVD Handycam® play on a VAIO computer?
- Only VAIO computers manufactured after April 2004 supports the playback of a DVD+RW 8cm disc. Please refer to Appendix A for a list of VAIO models that plays 8cm DVD+RW discs.
1.2 Why does the image recorded on a DVD+RW not play back in the wide aspect ratio (16:9) "letterbox" aspect ratio that it was recorded in?
- As of March 2005, there is no confirmed software that recognizes the wide aspect ratio (16:9) recorded on a DVD+RW disc.
1.3 Images recorded in wide aspect ratio (16:9) on DVD+RW media are not present in the correct aspect ratio when played back on my computer. What should I do?
- If you use WinDVD® or PowerDVD® preinstalled on VAIO® computers, you can display the images in wide aspect ratio (16:9) by changing the software settings. Please refer to your DVD playback software User Guide.
1.4 Can I play an 8cm DVD+RW disc on my VAIO computer if it is finalized?
- No, finalized 8cm DVD+RW discs will not play on VAIO computers.
1.5 My computer was purchased before April 2004 will Sony be providing an upgrade service so that my VAIO® computer can play back a DVD+RW 8cm disc?
- We have no plans to provide the upgrade. If you wish to play back a disc recorded by the new DVD Handycam on your VAIO®, we recommend using a DVD-RW or DVD-R 8cm disc.
1.6 I have already recorded on a DVD+RW 8cm disc. How can I play it back?
- Copy the contents of the 8 cm DVD+RW disc to a standard DVD-R/RW disc using Picture Package supplied with the DVD Handycam. For details about the Picture Package operation, please contact Pixela User Support Center.
1.7 Is image quality affected when the contents of a DVD+RW disc is copied to a DVD-RW disc using Picture Package?
- Images are transferred as digital data from a DVD+RW disc to the computer, so there is no deterioration in the image quality. No encoding or decoding occurs during the transfer process from a DVD+RW to the computer. Since Picture Package works with digital data, the image quality does not deteriorate during the transfer process.
1.8 What other Sony products can play 8cm DVD+RW discs?
- Standard 8cm DVD+RW discs recorded by the DVD Handycam® can be played back on Sony DVD players and/or recorders identified on the Compatibility list (attached as Appendix B).
1.9 Why does the VAIO peripheral PCGA-DDRW1, which was released before April 2004, support 8cm DVD+RW playback?
- Standard 8cm DVD+RW playback capability depends on the specifications of the adopted DVD drive. Among the products released before April 2004, the PCGA-DDRW1 is the only model that we have confirmed playback compatibility with 8cm DVD+RW discs.
1.10 Would there be any damage if you try to play back 8cm DVD+RW discs on VAIO Computers released before April 2004?
- There would be no damage to the disc or the product. The product would simply not play back the disc.
|VAIO Models that support playback of DVD+RW 8cm disc|
|Desktop systems||Notebook Systems|
|VGC-RA series||VGN-A series|
|VGC-RB series||VGN-S series|
|VGC-V series||VGN-T series|
|PCV-RS600 series||VGN-B Series|
|PCV-W700 series||VGN-FS series|
|PCV-V300 series||PCG-K2/3/4 series|
|*dependent on the external optical drive|
|Sony DVD Players|
|DVD Players + VHS Combo Model|
|Portable DVD Players|
|LCD Portable DVD Players|
|LCD Portable DVD Players|
|DVD Recorders + VHS Combo Model|