When you connect your computer to a new network for the first time, you are prompted to choose a location. The following location types are available:
- Home network: Choose this location when you trust the people and devices on the network. You can set up a Homegroup with this location type. Network discovery is turned on which means you can see other computers on the network and other computers can see your computer.
- Work network: This location type is configured the same as a Home network location but you cannot set up a Homegroup.
- Public network: Choose this option when connecting to a public network, such as a coffee shop or airport, the Internet without a router or a mobile broadband connection. The Homegroup is not available and Network discovery is turned off.
To change the location of your network connection follow the procedure below:
- Click the Start button and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click Network and Internet.
- In the Network and Internet window, click Network and Sharing Center.
- In the Network and Sharing Center window, in the View your active networks section, click the current network location.
- In the Set Network Location window, click the appropriate location.
- Click the Close button.
NOTE: If you change the location to Home, a Create a Homegroup window is displayed. Click the Cancel button or proceed to set up a Homegroup .