Follow this procedure to burn a DVD or CD disc using the Windows Media® Player.
IMPORTANT: Burning and playback of Blu-ray Disc® media is not supported in Windows Media Player.
- This procedure explains how to use the Windows Media Player to burn data to a DVD or CD disc. For other types of discs, such as a DVD-Video disc or an audio CD, you will need to use a different program or feature of Windows.
- Not all computers have a writeable optical drive. To see if your computer has a writeable optical drive, check the specifications. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Because Windows Media Player does not support the CD-Text standard, the disc that you burn will not include the media information from the original files. This means that if you burn an audio disc containing songs from multiple sources and you try to play that disc on another computer, the other computer may not be able to display the names of the songs or artists.
- If you want to make a standard music CD that will play in nearly any CD player, choose the Audio CD option, if you want to make a disc that can hold several hours of music (as opposed to an audio CD that only holds about 80 minutes of music), choose the Data CD or DVD option.
- You can also add picture and video files to data discs. If you want the ability to erase the disc later and add new files to it use a CD-RW, DVD-RW or DVD+RW disc.
- If needed, follow this procedure to erase a Rewritable disc (CD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RW) before starting the procedures below.
- Place a recordable disc in the optical drive of your computer.
NOTE: The following full sized (12cm) recordable discs can be used:
- DVD+R DL
- In the AutoPlay window, click Burn an audio CD using Windows Media Player.
- If the AutoPlay window does not appear, click Start, click Computer, and then double-click the optical disc drive containing the recordable disc.
- In step 2 you will be presented with two different options for burning a disc: Audio CD or Data CD or DVD. Because you chose to burn a disc using Windows Media Player, both methods will allow you to drag and drop the desired files to the recordable disc. Select the method most appropriate for your needs.
- In the Windows Media Player window, click the Burn tab.
- On the Burn tab, click the Burn options button, and then click to select either Audio CD or Data CD or DVD.
- Browse to the items in the Library that you want to burn to the audio CD and, to create a burn list, drag items from the details pane (the pane in the middle of the window) to the list pane (the pane on the right side of the window).
- To change the order of the songs in the Burn list, drag and drop a song up or down in the list.
- To remove a song from the Burn list, right-click the song and then click Remove from list.
- You can continue to add music tracks up to the point at which the media icon shows it is full.
- When the media icon shows it is full or the Burn list contains all the tracks you want it to contain, click the Start burn button.