There are no system Recovery discs included with the computer. The recovery data required to return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition is included on a special partition of the hard drive. The following procedure can be used to create a set of Recovery Discs from that data, which can be used to restore the recovery partition and return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition in case this is ever necessary.
- Personal data is not backed up to Recovery discs.
- If the computer uses an external CD/DVD drive, ensure the drive is plugged in according to the instructions in the manual. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Make sure the computer is powered on and press the Assist button.
- In the VAIO Care application, click Advanced Tools.
- Click Restore and recovery.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, or click Yes.
- Under Restore and Recovery, click Create Recovery Media.
- Click Next.
NOTE: Connect the AC adapter and do not interrupt power during the process.
- Click the desired media type.
- If the Create Recovery Media option is not available , you may be using a computer that does not have an internal optical drive, such as a netbook. To resolve the issue, connect an external optical drive and restart the VAIO Care™ software.
- Use a USB flash drive to store Recovery Media. The USB flash drive may be used to start VAIO Care Rescue if a system failure occurs.
- Insert a DVD or DVD-DL disc into the optical drive.
- The types of discs supported and the number of each required is displayed.
- The number of discs needed to create the set varies by model.
- Once the disc is recognized, in the Insert a blank disc and select the drive window, click the Next button.
- In the Proceed creating media window, click the Next button.
NOTE: Even though it takes longer, Sony recommends verifying that the recovery discs were created properly by checking the box next to Verify my disc was created correctly (slower).
- Click the Start button.
NOTE: A status window is displayed.
- Once the first disc has been created, remove and label it properly then insert disk two if needed.
- Insert another disc and then click the Next button.
- Once the second disc has been created, remove it and label it properly.
- Click the OK button.