IMPORTANT: This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.
This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and improvementsPalm™ Desktop 4.0.1 for Serial Cradle Update
- Palm OS® Software 4.x
- 7.43 MB
Before You Start
- This update application requires that you have approximately 200KB of available memory in your CLIÉ handheld. Before installing this application, follow these steps to confirm that there is enough memory available:
- Tap the "Home" icon.
- Tap the "Menu" icon and select "App".
- Tap "Info..." from the App drop-down list. All internal data information is displayed.
- Tap "Size" at the bottom of the screen.
- Check the "Free Space:.." listed.
- Tap the "Done" button to exit.
- During the installation of this update, be sure that you are logged in as the Administrator or as a user with Administrative rights.
- Make sure that Palm™ Desktop for CLIÉ™ software is installed on your PC from the installation CD-ROM supplied with your CLIÉ™ handheld
- To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
- It is highly recommended to print out these instructions as a reference during the installation process.
Download & Install
Download and Installation Instructions
- If a previous version of the Palm™ Desktop for CLIÉ™ software is installed on your PC, it must be removed. Please follow these steps:
- Point to the Start Menu
- Point to Settings
- Click Control Panel
- Click on Add/Remove Programs
- In the Add/Remove Programs window, select and uninstall Palm™ Desktop.
- Also uninstall any synchronization software previously installed. (Intellisync®, Pocketmirror, etc.)
- After uninstallation, go to your Sony Handheld installation directory, (Default: C:/Program Files/Sony Handheld)
- Find and copy the user directory within the Sony Handheld directory to a temporary location.
- Delete the Sony Handheld directory.
- Download the PDT4Win95.exe file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
- Navigate to the location to which you saved the update file and select the PDT4Win95.exe file. Then click "Open".
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install Palm™ Desktop.
- After the Palm™ Desktop installation is complete, restart the computer.
- After restarting, connection your serial cradle to the serial port of your PC.
- Place the CLIÉ™ Handheld firmly in the cradle, and press the HotSync button.
NOTE: If prompted, either select the username from the HotSync list, or select Yes to create a new user account on the PC.
Questions & Answers
TroubleshootingIf there are any problems after the above procedures are performed:
- If running Windows® 95, confirm that all necessary updates have been installed.
- Confirm that HotSync Manager is running.
- Confirm that the Serial Cradle is properly connected to the PC.
- Confirm that the "Local Serial" option is checked in the HotSync manager list. (This can be done by clicking the HotSync Manager icon in the Windows System Tray). If the above suggestions do not rectify the problem, please contact Sony Customer Support at: 1-877-760-SONY (7669).