IMPORTANT: This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.
This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and improvementsTo improve the overall reading experience and to provide the new features listed below, this utility updates the PRS-950 system software to version 2.0.00.11300.
- Purchased Content
Adds a "Purchased Content" icon to the Applications screen to allow you to easily access previously Purchased Content via your Sony Reader™ Store account and download it directly to your PRS-950.
- Reader Store Notifications
Receive recommendations from the Reader Store delivered to the Reader Home screen.
Note: The option to receive notifications can be turned off in the General Settings menu.
- Page Sync
Synchronizes reading information such as bookmarks, highlights and text notes between two or more Reader Daily Edition™ (PRS-950) devices.
- To start using the sync function, turn on Page Sync in the Application Preferences screen.
- Synchronizing across your smart phone devices with applications such as Reader™ for iPhone® will be coming soon.
- Capture Screenshot
Take screenshots of the Open Browser or Handwriting Viewer screens and save them as picture (jpeg) files which you can view in the Pictures application. You can also set a captured screenshot as your Standby Image.
Tap a link within text to jump to the web page via Wi-Fi®.
- Mac OS® X
- 59.49 MB
Before You Start
- IMPORTANT: This utility is for Apple® Mac OS X® 10.4.11 or later operating systems only. If you are using a computer with a Microsoft® Windows® operating system please go to the PRS-950 System Update for Windows page.
- The firmware update is also available via download directly to your Reader Daily Edition via Wi-Fi®. For more information go to the PRS-950 System Update via Wi-Fi page. Note: This update will not be distributed via the 3G network.
- WARNING!! The Sony Reader must be fully charged before installing this update. Failure to fully charge the Reader before installing the firmware update may cause the Reader to be unresponsive or to require repair.
- The software update process takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
- During the installation of this file, be sure that you are logged in as the Administrator or as a user with Administrative rights.
- It is highly recommended to print out these instructions as a reference during the installation process.
Download & Install
Download and Installation Instructions
- WARNING: The Sony Reader must be fully charged before installing this update. Failure to fully charge the Reader before installing the firmware update may cause the Reader to be unresponsive or to require repair.
- To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
- Download the PRS-950Updater.dmg file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
- Make sure that all memory cards have been removed from the Reader.
- Connect the Sony Reader to the computer with the supplied USB cable.
- If the Reader Library software starts, close Reader Library before continuing.
- Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double-click the PRS-950Updater.dmg file to begin the installation. WARNING: Do not disconnect the Sony Reader during the update process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. Note: The Sony Reader will automatically restart during the update process.
- After the software update is complete, an Update Completed message is displayed.
- Click the X to close the update utility.
After the Sony Reader restarts, and the Reader displays an update complete message, the installation of the Sony Reader (PRS-950) Update is complete.
Installation Verification (optional)
- On the Sony Reader Daily Edition, press and hold the Home button until the Home menu opens.
- At the Home menu, tap Settings.
- At the Settings menu, tap About,.
- At the About, screen, version 2.0.00.11300 should be displayed. Note: If the version is not 2.0.00.11300, please re-download the update, and then perform the software update again.
Questions & Answers
Possible Errors During the Update Process
|ERROR: Please first quit Reader Library and try again. is displayed.||RESOLUTION: |
|ERROR: Update isn't complete. Please try again is displayed.||RESOLUTION: |
|ERROR: The Update button in the PRS-950 Updater is not enabled even if the PRS-950 is connected to the computer.||RESOLUTION: |