IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Certain camcorders will support webcam operation (live streaming) through the HDMI® port.
Before you start
You will need the following items to setup live streaming
- A camcorder that has an Auto Shut Off (A.Shut Off) Power Save option in the menu and a HDMI output port.
- Set the Auto Shut Off feature to either Off or Never to prevent it from automatically turning off while live streaming
- If your camcorder does not have this option, then it may not function for live streaming as the unit may automatically shut down after after a short period of time
- HDMI to USB video capture device (not a Sony product)
- HDMI cable. The camcorder model and your video capture device will determine the type of HDMI cable needed for connectivity
- USB cable
- A computer with streaming software installed
- The video capture device and software are not manufactured by Sony
- Make sure that you have a HDMI to USB video capture device and not a USB to HDMI adapter (for an external monitor)
Steps to setup live streaming
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the camcorder HDMI output and the other end of the cable to the HDMI input of the video capture device.
- Connect the video capture device to the computer using the USB cable.
- Turn on the camcorder by moving the POWER switch to the CAMERA position.
- Open the video/audio settings of the capture/streaming software on your computer.
- The software should recognize the video capture device and therefore your camcorder as a webcam.
- You should then see the live stream from the camcorder on your computer display.
- If you use an external microphone, then be sure to select the proper device in the audio settings of your computer.
- If the camcorder menu appears on the stream, then turn off the display: Navigate to HDMI Settings → HDMI Info. Display → Off.