IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
The information below may differ depending on the type of mobile device. Refer to the mobile device manual if model-specific information is necessary to perform any step. Check the Near Field Communication (NFC™) function and Imaging Edge Mobile (PlayMemories Mobile™ successor) app connection with the mobile device after completing each step.
Make sure the mobile device supports the NFC technology.
- To use NFC with an Apple® iPhone® mobile digital devices, you will need an iPhone® 7 cell phone or later and iOS11.0™ operating system or later.
- Your mobile device needs to have an app that supports NFC.
Make sure you have the Imaging Edge Mobile app downloaded and installed onto your mobile device.
Make sure the NFC function is turned on in the Wireless or Network Settings menu of the mobile device.
Make sure the Airplane Mode in the camera menu is set to Off.
Check if the settings allow the camera and mobile device to connect
- Make sure that Ctrl with Smartphone is set to On in the Wireless or (Network) menu of your camera.
- Make sure that MENU → (Network) → Smartphone Connect → Smartphone Connection is set to On.
Note: Depending on the camera, Ctrl with Smartphone / Smartphone Connect is not installed.
If the mobile device is enclosed in a case or skin, remove it.
Make sure the NFC mark on the camera is aligned to the NFC area of your mobile device when tapping the devices together.
- The Imaging Edge Mobile app automatically starts about 1 - 2 seconds after tapping the camera and mobile device together.
- If the camera is in movie/photo recording mode, Ctrl with Smartphone starts up.
- If the camera is in Playback mode, Send to Smartphone starts up and images being played back on the camera will be transferred on the mobile device.
If the Wi-Fi® setting of your camera is set to OFF or set to Multi connection, Imaging Edge Mobile can't be connected. Set the Wi-Fi setting to Single connection.
You can connect the camera to a smartphone via QR Code in any of the following situations:
- A QR Code appears on the camera's display panel when you select Ctrl with Smartphone on the camera.
- A QR Code appears on the camera's display panel when you activate Smart Remote Control on the PlayMemories Camera Apps.
- A QR Code is printed on the rear of the battery cover of the camera.
Try the connection by executing Scan QR Code of the camera in Imaging Edge Mobile.