Follow this procedure to detect and repair errors on the hard drive using the Check Disk utility.
- Click the Start button, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
- In the My Documents window, in the left pane, click My Computer.
- Under My Computer, click to select the drive to check for errors.
- On the menu bar, click the File button.
- On the File menu, click Properties.
- In the Local Disk Properties window, click the Tools tab.
- On the Tools tab, in the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.
- In the Check Disk window, in the Check disk options box, click to select the Automatically fix file system errors box.
NOTE: Click to select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors box to physically examine the hard drive and ensure that the disk has not been damaged. The duration of the test with this option selected varies according to the size of the hard drive examined and may require several hours to complete.
- Click the Start button.
- In the Checking Disk box, click the Yes button.
- Restart the computer.
NOTE: The disk check will be performed automatically when the system restarts.