How to back up and restore data files using the Windows Backup and Restore feature.
The Windows Backup and Restore feature allows you to create a system image backup which can be used to restore system settings and files. Follow the procedure below to back up data:
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. The Windows Backup and Restore feature is part of the operating system. Sony cannot guarantee that all or any data can be backed up, and once backed up, cannot guarantee that data can be restored from the backup.
IMPORTANT: Backups created with the Windows Backup and Restore feature must be restored using the Windows Backup and Restore feature. While the backup can be browsed or explored, the content cannot be restored by copying or moving the files to a computer hard drive.
- Ensure all running programs are closed.
- Insert a blank CD, DVD or BD disc in the optical drive.
NOTE: If an AutoPlay window appears for the disc you just inserted, click the X in the upper-right corner to close the window.
- Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, under System and Maintenance, click Backup your computer.
- In the Backup and Restore Center window, click the Back up files button.
NOTE: If a User Account Control dialog box is displayed, click the Continue button.
- In the Back Up Files window, under Where do you want to save your backup, click to select a location to save the backup.
- The backup cannot be saved to the (C:) drive.
- If you already created a previous backup and are satisfied with the current settings, in the Backup Status and Confirmation window, click the Back up now button and skip the remainder of this procedure.
- If you already created a previous backup but are not satisfied with the current settings, change the backup settings before performing the backup.
- Click the Next button.
- Follow the on-screen directions to complete the backup.
NOTE: If more than one disc is required to create the backup, you will be prompted to insert additional discs.
Once the backup process is complete, place the backup media (external hard drive, optical disc or flash drive) in a secure location so that it is available in case you need to restore system settings and files using the system image backup.