This is the Sony supported process to upgrade from the Windows® 8 operating system to the Windows 8.1 version:
- These recommended Sony upgrade instructions are also available online at http://www.esupport.sony.com.
- For any VAIO computers that contain a battery, before attempting the upgrade, make sure the computer is connected to the AC adapter and the AC adapter is plugged in to a working wall outlet.
- Back up all personal data .
- Create a set of Recovery Discs .
NOTE: If you have already created a set of Recovery Discs you can skip step 2.
- Open the VAIO Update application on the computer and install all available updates.
NOTE: If the VAIO Update application is not available or not working, manually download and install all available updates.
- Open the Windows Update utility on the computer and install all available Windows updates.
- After installing all available updates, restart the computer, and then check for updates again.
- Because some Windows updates are dependent on others to be installed first, after installing updates and restarting the computer, more updates may appear.
- Open the Microsoft Store app then download and install the Windows 8.1 upgrade.
- After the upgrade to Windows 8.1 is complete, restart the computer, open VAIO Update again and download and install all available VAIO updates.
IMPORTANT: The upgrade process consists of two stages:
- Extraction of Windows 8.1 upgrade files and copying of these files to the system drive of the computer.
- After the computer restarts, Windows 8.1 will launch a setup wizard for setup of user profile and preferences.
- If either part of this process is interrupted, the computer will attempt to revert (roll back) to the previous version of the operating system. This reversion should not result in loss of data.
- Once the setup wizard for Windows 8.1 is completed, the Windows 8.1 upgrade is final and cannot be reverted (rolled back) to Windows 8 without a full recovery using the Recovery Partition accessed using the Assist button, or by using the Recovery Discs created in step 2.