Set Up Multiple Monitors on Your Computer
Watch the VIDEO or follow the instructions below to set up a multiple monitor configuration on your computer with Microsoft® Windows® 8 operating system.
- Connect the external monitor to the VGA or HDMI® port on your computer.
- Not all computers have an HDMI port. Refer to the manual for model-specific information. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Set up your monitor using either the Charms bar or the Control Panel.
- Charms bar:
- On the Start screen, point (but don't click) the lower-right corner of your desktop.
- Select the Devices charm.
- You can also access the Devices screen using the Windows + K key combination.
- Under Devices, click on Second screen.
Under Second screen, select your preferred configuration:
- PC screen only: Your desktop uses the main computer monitor only.
- Duplicate: Both the main computer monitor and the external monitor display your desktop.
- Extended: Your desktop extends from the main computer monitor to the external monitor.
- Second screen only: Your desktop uses the external monitor only.
- Control Panel:
- Right-click on an empty space on your desktop and select Screen resolution.
- In the In the Screen Resolution window, click the down arrow next to Multiple displays.
- Select your preferred configuration:
- Duplicate these displays: Both the main computer monitor and the external monitor display your desktop.
- Extend these displays: Your desktop extends from the main computer monitor to the external monitor.
- Show desktop only on 1: Your desktop uses Display 1 only.
- Show desktop only on 2: Your desktop uses Display 2 only.
- After you select your preferred configuration, click on Apply.
- Click on OK.
- Charms bar: