Follow these steps to detect and repair errors on the hard drive using the Check Disk utility.
- Click the Start button, and then click Computer.
- In the Computer window, right-click the hard drive you wish to check for errors, and then click to select Properties.
- In the Local Disk Properties window, click the Tools tab.
- On the Tools tab, in the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, click Continue or click Yes.
- In the Check Disk window, in the Check disk options box, click to select the Automatically fix file system errors box.
NOTE: You can also click to select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors box to physically examine the hard drive and ensure that the disk has not been damaged. The duration of the test with this option selected varies according to the size of the hard drive examined and may require several hours to complete.
- Click the Start button.
- In the Checking Disk box, click the Yes button.
- Restart the computer.
NOTE: The disk check will be performed automatically when the system restarts.