How to restore the computer to an earlier time using the System Restore feature
Follow this procedure to use the System Restore feature.
- This procedure must be performed while logged in as Administrator or to an account with Administrator rights.
- The System Restore procedure will restore the Registry and other settings back to the date and time selected. No data will be lost. Saved documents and e-mail will not be affected by performing a System Restore.
- Any hardware or software that has been installed after the date of the restore point will need to be reinstalled.
- 200MB of free hard drive space is required to perform a system restore.
- If the operating system will not start in Normal Mode, restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- If the operating system will not start in Normal Mode or Safe Mode, restart the computer in Safe Mode using the Command Prompt. At the Command Prompt, type C:\Windows\System32\Restore\Rstrui.exe and then on the keyboard, press the ENTER key to start the System Restore.
- If the mouse is not available, use the TAB key, or ARROW keys to make the selection.
- Click the Start button, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
NOTE: If System Restore is not listed in the System Tools menu, click the Start button and then click Help and Support.
- Under Pick a task, click System Restore.
- In the System Restore window, click the Next button.
NOTE: If other users are logged onto the computer, a System Restore dialog box will appear. Click the OK button to continue.
- Under 1. On this calendar..., click the Less Than (<) symbol or Greater Than (<) symbol to select a month.
- Under 2. On this list..., click the Less Than (<) symbol or Greater Than (<) symbol to select a day and then click the restore point time.
NOTE: If no days are displayed verify System Restore is enabled.
- Click the Next button.
- In the Confirm Restore Point Selection window, click the Next button.
NOTE: The operating system will be restored to the date and time selected and the computer will restart.