There are no system recovery discs included with the computer. The recovery data required to return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition is included on a special partition of the hard drive. The following procedure can be used to create a set of recovery discs from that data, which can be used to restore the recovery partition and return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition in case this is ever necessary.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process.
- The number of discs needed to create the set varies by model.
- The recovery discs are not a backup utility. To back up personal data, use the Backup and Restore Center provided with the Windows Vista® operating system or if the operating system will not start, use the Rescue Data feature.
- Ensure all open programs are closed.
- Ensure all network connections are disconnected.
- Ensure all peripheral devices are disconnected.
NOTE: If the computer uses an external CD/DVD drive, ensure the drive is plugged in according to the instructions in the VAIO User Guide.
- From within the VAIO Recovery Center application, under Choose a program, click Create Recovery Discs.
NOTE: The VAIO Recovery Center can be accessed using the following procedure:
- Click the Start button and then click All Programs.
- In the All Programs menu, click the VAIO Recovery Center folder.
- In the VAIO Recovery Center folder, click VAIO Recovery Center.
- In the Create Recovery Discs window, click the Start button.
- In the When recovery discs are needed window, click the Next button.
- In the Choose your media window, click the Next button.
- Supported DVD discs include DVD+-DL and DVD+-R depending on the type of recordable optical drive in your computer. Rewritable discs (DVD+-RW) are supported, but not recommended because these discs can be overwritten. CD discs are not supported because these dics do not have the storage capacity to accommodate the content size.
- An option to Verify integrity of recovery discs (slower) is available. If you check this option, the files created on each disc will be verified.
- Insert a blank, recordable DVD into the DVD drive.
- In the Insert a blank disc window, click the OK button.
- Insert a new disc when necessary as instructed.
- When all the disks have been created, click the Finish button.
NOTE: After the recovery discs have been created the first time, any disc can be created again by selecting the disc from the list and clicking Next.