Follow these steps to perform a system recovery using the VAIO Recovery Center.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
- Before performing a recovery, go to the Sony® eSupport Web site and look for software and driver updates or check for knowledge base solutions that may help you solve your computer issue. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- This model does not require Recovery CDs. Recovery data is included on a special partition of the hard drive.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process.
- Before performing a recovery, disconnect any external devices not supplied with the computer such as printers, network cables, cameras, or external storage devices, like hard drives or flash drives.
- Customers who purchased the Symantec® Norton Internet Security® 2007 software from the Sony Style® store with their computer must create a Norton Account to save their product key prior to a system recovery or the software cannot be reinstalled.
- If the operating system will not start and no other troubleshooting can be performed, a recovery of the (C:) drive can be performed by starting the computer and pressing the F8 key .
- A recovery can also be performed using Recovery Discs .
- Click the Start button, then click Help and Support .
NOTE: If the Help and Support link is not available on the Start menu, re-enable the link in the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window.
- In the Windows Help and Support window, click Backup & Recovery .
- Under Backup & Recovery , under VAIO Recovery Center , click Launch VAIO Recovery Center .
- In the VAIO Recovery Center window, under Choose a program , click to select the desired option:
- Windows Backup and Restore
- VAIO Hardware Diagnostics
- Reinstall Programs or Drivers
- Restore C: Drive
- Restore Complete System
- Create Recovery Discs
- Wipe and Erase Data
IMPORTANT: The Restore Complete System and Wipe and Erase Data options cannot be performed from within the operating system. To perform either of these operations you will need to insert Recovery Disc #1 and click the Next button. This will restart the computer and allow you to use the use the VAIO Recovery Center from the Recovery Discs .
- It is strongly recommended that recovery discs be created to help restore files if the operating system will not start. Recovery discs are bootable and can be used to perform a recovery on a properly functioning hard drive.
- The Windows Backup and Restore option opens the Backup and Restore Center provided with the Windows Vista® operating system. This provides the ability to save information from the hard drive, such as personal data files, and restore previously backed up data.
- Computer problems related to hardware can be diagnosed using the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics option.
- One or more drivers or factory-installed applications may be reinstalled with the Reinstall Programs or Drivers option.
- The entire (C:) drive can be restored to its original, factory-installed condition by selecting Restore C: Drive .
- Choosing Restore Complete System will restore the entire (C:) drive, while removing or restoring the Recovery Drive partition. Modifying the size of the hard drive partitions is also an option with this type of recovery. This option requires you to insert Recovery DVDs created using the Create Recovery Discs option.
- To remove all data from the hard drive, including the operating system, all programs and personal data, choose the Wipe and Erase Data option. This option is provided for the convenience of advanced users who want to install a different operating system, and who want to ensure all data has been removed from the hard drive first. All other users are strongly urged to avoid selecting this option.