The VAIO Recovery Wizard will only create a single partition on the computer.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. All software applications, configurations, and data added to the restored drive will be erased.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. Licensed content, such as movies acquired from the VAIO® Movie Experience CD supplied with select models, will no longer be playable if the license information is not backed up prior to a system recovery and restored afterward .
- Before performing a recovery, look for software and driver updates, or check for knowledge base solutions that may help you solve your computer's issue. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- This model does not use Recovery CDs. Recovery data is loaded from the Recovery Media Kit and saved to a special partition of the hard drive.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process. Notebook computers must be connected to the AC adapter.
- Close all open programs.
- Disconnect all network connections.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices.
- If the computer includes a floppy disk drive, remove any floppy disk from the drive
- If the computer uses an external CD/DVD drive, plug in the drive according to the instructions in the VAIO User Guide.
- Turn on the computer.
- Insert the first disc of the Recovery Media Kit into the CD/DVD drive.
- Turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer.
- In the VAIO Recovery Wizard window, click the Next button.
- Under Media and Recovery Options, click to select the Proceed with System Recovery option.
- Click the Next button.
- Under Recovery Options, click to select the desired option to continue with a system recovery:
- A C Drive Recovery will return the (C:) drive to its original, factory-installed state. All software and data on the (C:) drive will be erased.
- A Custom Recovery provides options for recovering the (C:) drive with or without a recovery partition.
- The Custom Recovery options are only available when starting the computer using the Recovery Media Kit.
- The default configuration for these computers includes only a (C:) drive. There is no capability within the VAIO Recovery Wizard or the Recovery Media Kit to add partitions or modify the size of the (C:) drive.