How to create a new user account on the computer.
Follow these steps to create a new user account.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
- Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click User Accounts and Family Safety.
- In the User Accounts and Family Safety window, click User Accounts.
- In the User Accounts window, click Manage another account.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, click Continue or click Yes.
- In the Manager Accounts window, click Create a new account.
- In the Create New Account window, in the New account name text field, type the desired account name.
- Below the Account name text field, click to select the desired account type, and then click the Create Account button.
IMPORTANT: The standard account can help protect your computer by preventing users from making changes that affect everyone who uses the computer. When logged on with a standard account, you can do anything that you can do with an administrator account, but if you want to do something that affects other users of the computer, such as installing software or changing security settings, you might be ask to provide a password for an administrator account.
- It is recommend that the standard account be chosen.
- It is also recommend that an account password be created for each account.
- File sharing with a computer using the Windows® 7 operating system will require the remote user to log in using a password and will not be allowed from a user account that does not have a password.
- In the Manager Accounts window, click the X in the upper right corner to close the window.