How to change what happens when the Start Menu Power button is pressed (Hibernate, Standby or Shut down).
- Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click System and Security.
- In the System and Security window, click Power Options.
- In the Power Options window, in the Select a power plan section, next to the currently selected power plan, click Change plan settings.
NOTE: Changes made within a specific power plan will affect that power plan only. This means that if the power plan selection is changed - from VAIO Optimized to High Performance, for example - any changes made to the setting within the previously selected power plan will not be reflected in the newly selected power plan. To ensure that a specific setting is customized the way you want it to be no matter what power plan is selected, modify that setting in all the power plan options.
- In the Edit Plan Settings window, click Change advanced power settings.
- In the Advanced Settings window, click the Plus (+) sign next to Power buttons and lid to expand the selection.
- Under Power buttons and lid, click the Plus (+) sign next to Power button action to expand the selection.
- Under Power button action, click On battery: and then click the down arrow.
- In the drop-down menu, click to select the desired setting (Do nothing, Hibernate, or Shut down).
- Repeat steps 9 and 10 for Plugged in:.
- Click the OK button.
- Close the Edit Plan Settings window.