The battery is not compatible with the computer.
- If the battery appears to be a Sony® battery but the part number is not correct, the battery may be counterfeit. Please contact the Customer Experience Center at (239) 768-7545 to speak with a customer service representative.
- VAIO® computer users are recommended to use only use genuine Sony rechargeable battery packs that meet Sony's quality assurance standards.
- Third-party battery packs may not comply with the Sony quality and safety standards, specifications and requirements for long-time, high-power voltage usages of rechargeable batteries.
NOTE: If you have the error: Battery is not for this model or not correctly connected, please follow this Knowledge Base Article .
You may receive one of the following error messages that references the use of an incompatible battery with the computer:
- This battery cannot be used with your computer. Please use only genuine Sony batteries compatible with this computer.
- This is not a genuine Sony battery. Your computer will be going into hibernate mode to protect from possible damage by the battery.
- The installed battery may not be properly connected to the computer or may not be compatible with the computer.
The errors may occur if the battery is not installed and locked properly or if the battery was removed while operating the computer. The errors also may occur if the Sony Notebook Utilities software is missing or corrupt, or you are using a non-Sony battery. To resolve the issue, follow the procedures below:
- For model-specific information about removing or installing the battery or using the VAIO Recovery software, consult the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, try to reproduce the error after completing each step.
- Power off the computer. Verify the battery is installed and locked properly and then turn on the computer.
- Reinstall the Sony Notebook Utilities software using the VAIO Recovery software or download and install the original or an updated version. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Verify the original Sony battery is installed in the computer. If the battery has been replaced, verify it is a Sony authorized replacement battery. Check the part number to verify the battery is actually a Sony authorized battery. The part number of the battery can be found on the battery itself and can be verified on the Sony® Parts and Accessories Sales Web site.  Go to Parts and Accessories.