What is the storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc media?
Blu-ray Disc® rewriteable media is identified with gold trim on the packaging and the BD-RE designation. Blu-ray Disc recordable (write once) media is identified with grey trim on the packaging and the BD-R designation.
Currently, 50GB and 25GB capacity Blu-ray Disc media is available in both the BD-RE rewriteable and BD-R recordable formats. The 50GB capacity media are Dual Layer.
- Larger Blu-ray Disc media capacities will be available in the future.
- To purchase Blu-ray Disc media, Blu-ray Disc movies, and other Blu-ray Disc products, visit the Sony Store.
Please contact a local or online authorized retailer to purchase a Sony product.
For customers in the United States: https://www.sony.com/retailers
- Not all computers have an internal Blu-ray Disc optical drive. To determine if your computer has a Blu-ray Disc optical drive, use this procedure .
Blu-ray Disc media include these features:
- 50GB capacity - Each disc can hold more than 10 standard DVDs.
- 25GB capacity - Each disc can hold more than 5 standard DVDs.
- Space for HD video recording - Massive hard disk backups and large multi-media files.
- Fast data transfer rate - Up to 72 Mbps.
- Scratch Guard - Hard coating protects against scratches and prevents dust and stains.
- Archival Reliability - Highly reliable recording material design resists image corruption and deterioration after long storage.
- Stable Writing - High-precision disc layer provides a level of disc flatness, which results in lower errors while recording and playback.
- Temperature Durability - High-precision disc structure made to prevent warping during severe changes in temperature and humidity.
- Overwriting Reliability (BD-RE rewriteable media only) - New recording layer that is extremely durable under repeated rewrite cycles.