IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot a webcam that is not working or not detected in the operating system.
IMPORTANT: Before beginning this procedure, download and install all available driver, system and application updates.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, restart the computer and check the webcam status after completing each step.
- Disconnect any external devices (including external webcams) and for notebook computers, remove the computer from any docking station (if connected).
- Set the Camera app to allow the use of the built in webcam and microphone.
- Make sure the Visual Communication Camera device is selected within the settings of the software you are trying to use (Skype™, Google Talk™, etc.).
- Enable all USB composite devices under USB controller category in the Device Manager.
- Uninstall & reinstall all USB composite devices under the USB controller category in the Device Manager.
- Uninstall & reinstall all USB Host Controller devices under the USB controller category in the Device Manager.
- Perform a System Restore procedure to return the computer to an earlier date when the webcam was operating correctly.
- Perform a complete system recovery.