Follow these steps to troubleshoot why the computer is performing or running slowly or has stopped responding.
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the computer status after completing each step.
- When troubleshooting slow performance using the steps below, some steps may take an extended time to complete. Move on to the next step and complete the unused steps at a later time.
- Upgrading the computer RAM memory is likely to improve overall performance.
- It is advised to use the VAIO Care™ hardware diagnostics to help resolve your issue.
- Restart the computer into Safe Mode with networking .
- Starting the computer in Safe Mode with networking will ensure that all unnecessary background applications are closed, and will also clear the print queue.
- Safe Mode with networking will also allow testing of Internet connection capability.
- To ensure applications that load when the computer starts are not causing the computer to slow down, prevent any unused or infrequently used applications from loading at startup .
- If this is a notebook computer, adjust the power settings to improve overall system performance.
WARNING:There is a risk of data loss. Before closing an application or process using the task manager, be sure to save all open files because the application may not prompt you to save data before closing. Also, closing critical processes may cause system instability.
- Remove any recently added hardware.
NOTE: For assistance with any third-party hardware or software, please contact the hardware or software manufacturer.
- Because the presence of viruses, spyware and adware can cause the operating system to perform slowly, use the currently installed anti-virus application to clean the system of malware.
NOTE: The presence of two or more anti-virus programs may decrease computer performance.
- Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to help detect any problems that may be occurring with installed applications.
- Perform a System Restore to return the configuration to a time when the computer was not performing as slowly.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve any performance, slow down or no response issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, a full recovery of the system may be required.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. Ensure to back up any important data before running a full recovery of the system.