Follow these steps to create a restore point using the System Restore feature.
- System Restore will create a backup of the registry and other settings. No data will be saved and documents and e-mail will not be backed up.
- This information applies only to computers using the operating systems listed below this article in the Applicable Products and Categories section.
NOTE: If the system will not start in normal mode, restart the computer in Safe Mode .
- Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click System and Maintenance.
- In the System and Maintenance window, click System.
- In the System window, under Tasks, click System Protection.
NOTE: If the User Account Control window is displayed, click the Continue button.
- In the System Properties window, on the System Protection tab, click Create button.
NOTE: If System Restore has been disabled, the Create button will be greyed out. You must enable System Restore before creating a restore point.
- In the System Protection window, type a description for this restore point, and then click the Create button.
- After the restore point is created, at the System Protection prompt, click OK.
- In the System Properties window, click the OK button.
- In the System window, click the X in upper-right corner to close the window.