After installing Windows 8 or Windows 8 Release Preview, you may have difficulty booting the system to the VAIO Recovery Partition when attempting to return the system to the original installed OS.
If you are able to boot into the Windows 8 interface, perform the following steps to reboot to the Recovery Partition:
- Point to (but do not click) the lower-right or top-right corner of the screen, and then click to select the Settings charm.
NOTE: The Windows Logo + I key combination will also take you to the Settings screen.
- In the Settings screen, in the lower-right corner, click Change PC settings.
- In the PC Settings screen, click the General tab.
- On the General tab, on the right hand pane, scroll down to the bottom and, under Advanced startup, click the Restart now button.
- In the blue Choose an option screen, click on the Turn off your PC option.
- Press the Assist button to reach the VAIO Recovery options.
NOTE: If the system does not have an Assist button, or if the Assist button does not boot the PC, power it on with the Power button, while simultaneously tapping the F10 key on the keyboard.
If the Assist button or F10 key methods do not work, follow these additional steps:
- Turn the PC off by holding down the Power button until the screen and power light go off.
- Remove all power from the system (AC adapter and battery, if applicable).
- Reconnect battery and AC adapter then restart the system with the Assist button or by simultaneously tapping F10 as indicated above.