How to set up and use the System Restore feature.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
The System Restore function in the operating system uses a feature called System Protection that regularly creates and saves as restore points information about your computer drivers, programs, registry, system files, and settings. The System Restore feature allows you to use these restore points to revert your computer back to the way it was at a previous point in time. This is an excellent way to fix various computer problems or undo any system changes that may have occurred since that point. In order System Restore to work, you must first enable the System Protection feature, which will establish an initial restore point. Follow these steps to enable the System Protection feature and create a restore point.
NOTE: Once the System Protection feature has been activated it will automatically create a new restore point whenever there are any significant system changes, but you can also use this procedure to manually create a restore point at any time, should you wish.
- Right-click the Start button or press the Windows logo + X key combination, and from the menu, click System.
- In the System window, on the left side of the screen, click System Protection.
NOTE:If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, or click Yes.
- In the System Properties window, click the Configure button.
- In the System Protection for Local Disc (C:) window, under Restore Settings, click to select Turn on system protection, and then click the OK button.
NOTE: You will notice that the System Restore button is now available and that, in the Protection settings section, protection for Local Disk (C:) (System) is set to On.
- In the System Properties window, click the Create button.
- In the Create a restore point window, type a description for the restore point and then click the Create button.
- At the The restore point was created successfully prompt, click the Close button.
The System Protection feature has now been enabled and an initial restore point has been establish.