How to add a Shut Down button to the Start screen.
In order to add a Shut Down button to the Start screen in the new Windows User Interface (UI), you will first need to create a Shut Down shortcut on the traditional Windows Desktop, and then choose to Pin to Start that shortcut button. Follow these steps to make this happen.
- In the new Windows User Interface (UI) Start screen, click the Desktop tile.
- On the Desktop, right-click an empty space and from the menu, click to select New, and then click Shortcut.
- In the Create Shortcut window, type shutdown.exe –s –t 00 and then click the Next button.
- Under Type a name for this shortcut, type Shut Down and then click the Finish button.
NOTE: You will now have a Shut Down shortcut on the Desktop.
- Right-click the new Shut Down shortcut, and from the menu, click to select Properties.
- In the Shut Down Properties window, click the Shortcut tab, click the Change Icon button, and then click OK.
- In the Change Icon window, click to select the icon you prefer for the shortcut, and then click the OK button.
NOTE: For this example we will select the Power Button icon.
- In the Shut Down Properties window, click the OK button.
- Right-click the Shut Down shortcut again, and from the menu, click to select Pin to Start.
The Shut Down shortcut will now be available as an icon on the Desktop and as a tile in the Windows UI Start screen.