Follow these steps to troubleshoot why the VAIO® computer with the Windows® XP operating system (OS) does not display, beep, clear POST or boot.
- This information applies only to computers using the operating systems listed below this article in the Applicable Products and Categories section.
- If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the computer. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the computer status after completing each step.
- If this issue occurs on a notebook computer, ensure the appropriate AC adapter is being used by comparing the model number on the AC adapter brick to the AC adapter listed in the computer Marketing Specifications under supplied accessories. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Restart the computer by pressing and holding the power button until all power indicator lights are off, waiting 30 seconds, and then pressing the power button again.
- Remove or disconnect all removable media.
- Restart the computer to Safe Mode.
- Reset the computers BIOS to the default values.
- Restart the computer to the Last Known Good Configuration .
- Disconnect all peripheral devices connected to the computer.
- Remove any additional third-party cards that were installed in the computer.
NOTE: A video card is needed for startup.
- Remove any additional RAM memory modules that have been added to the computer.
- Remove and replace (reseat) the original RAM memory modules that came installed in the computer.
NOTE: Refer to the operating instructions supplied with the computer for specific information on how to install, remove or replace RAM memory modules.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required.  Go to Product Repair.