Some original drivers are not fully reinstalled after using the VAIO® Recovery Wizard to save them to the C:\Windows\Drivers folder. Follow this procedure to reinstall these device drivers using the Update Driver function.
- Click the Start button, then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, under Pick a category, click Performance and Maintenance.
- In the Performance and Maintenance window, under or pick a Control Panel icon, click System.
- In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.
- On the Hardware tab, in the Device Manager box, click the Device Manager button.
- In the Device Manager window, click the plus (+) symbol to expand the category of the device to be reinstalled.
NOTE: For example, to reinstall ethernet drivers, click the plus (+) symbol to expand Network adapters.
- Under the expanded category, click to select the specific device.
- On the menu bar, click Action.
- On the Action menu, click Properties.
- In the Properties window, click the Driver tab.
- On the Driver tab, click the Update Driver button.
- The Hardware Update Wizard window will open.
NOTE: If the message Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software? is displayed, click to select No, not this time, then click the Next button.
- Under What do you want the wizard to do?, click to select Install from a list or a specific location (Advanced).
- Click the Next button.
- Under Search for the best driver in these locations, click to select the Include this location in the search: box.
- Under Include this location in the search:, click the Browse button.
- In the Browse for Folder window, browse to the C:\Windows\Drivers folder.
- Click to select the subfolder corresponding to the device to reinstall.
NOTE: For example, to reinstall modem drivers, you might click to select the Modem folder. The exact name of the folder varies according to the model of the computer and the installed devices.
- Click the OK button.
- In the Hardware Update Wizard window, click the Next button.
- The Hardware Update Wizard window will indicate if the driver was reinstalled successfully.
- Click the Finish button.