How to use the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics utility to diagnose hardware issues.
The VAIO Hardware Diagnostics utility can be used to perform various tests to ensure the computer is working properly and diagnose hardware issues when they occur. Follow this procedure to perform a Quick Test or Individual tests using this utility.
- Close all open programs.
NOTE: If the VAIO Recovery Center application is already open, proceed with step 3.
- Open the VAIO Recovery Center application.
- If the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics window is already open, proceed with step 4.
- The VAIO Recovery Center software can be accessed from the Start menu. Click the Start button, click the VAIO Recovery Center folder and then click VAIO Recovery Center.
- If you cannot start the operating system, the VAIO Recovery Center software can be accessed by pressing the F10 key at the BIOS screen, but all the hardware component tests may not be available.
- You also can access the VAIO Recovery Center software by booting the computer using the Recovery Discs. Insert Recovery Disc #1 and then restart the computer.
- In the VAIO Recovery Center window, under Choose a program, click VAIO Hardware Diagnostics.
- In the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics, click the Start button.
- On the Quick Test tab, click the Run Test button.
- To perform any of the individual tests available within the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics utility, click the Individual Test tab.
- The Individual Test tab is only available when the VAIO Recovery Center is started from within the operating system.
- Tests can be run on the following components: CPU, Memory, Video, Hard Disk Drive, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, Network Adapter, USB, CF/PC Card, and Memory Stick.
- The CPU, Memory, and Hard Disk Drive tests are performed during the Quick Test. The Video and CF/PC Card tests are also performed as part of the Quick Test when the VAIO Recovery Center is started from the desktop.
Listed below are errors that may be returned by the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics and the corresponding action required to resolve the error:
NOTE: This list will be updated as errors and resolutions are identified.
|Optical Drive (CD/DVD-ROM) Test|
|There is no disc inserted in the drive. Insert a CD-ROM. --- (E-CD-001)||Insert a CD-ROM|
|No data track on the inserted disc. Insert a CD-ROM. --- (E-CD-002)||Insert a CD-ROM|
|The inserted disc is a DVD-ROM disc. Insert a CD-ROM. --- (E-CD-003)||Insert a CD-ROM|
|This disc cannot be used for this test. Insert a CD-ROM. --- (E-CD-004)||Insert a CD-ROM|
|There is no disc inserted in the drive. Insert a DVD-ROM. --- (E-DVD-001)||Insert a DVD-ROM|
|This inserted disc is protected. Insert a DVD-ROM. --- (E-DVD-002)||Insert a DVD-ROM|
|The inserted disc is invalid. Please insert a valid DVD-ROM ! --- (E-DVD-003)||Insert a DVD-ROM|
|= Errors were detected. --- (E-CD-005) =||Insert another disc. If the error code can be reproduced, the optical drive requires service.|
|= Errors were detected. --- (E-DVD-004) =||Insert another disc. If the error code can be reproduced, the optical drive requires service.|
Go to Product Repair.