How to start the computer in Safe Mode.
Follow the steps below to access Safe Mode from within the operating system.
IMPORTANT: You will need to perform additional steps if you need to access Safe Mode but are unable to get in to the operating system .
- Point to (but do not click) the lower-right or top-right corner of the screen, and then click to select the Settings charm.
NOTE: The Windows Logo + I key combination will also take you to the Settings screen.
- In the Settings screen, in the lower-right corner, click Change PC settings.
- In the PC Settings screen, click General, then click the Restart now button.
- Click Troubleshoot, then click Advanced Options.
- In the Advanced options screen, click Startup Settings, then click Restart.
- In Startup Settings, press the number 4 key to start to Safe Mode.
NOTE: Press the number 5 key to start to Safe Mode with Networking or the number 6 key to start to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- The computer will now boot into Safe Mode.