The Battery saver feature helps to conserve your computer battery by limiting the background activities and adjusting the hardware settings. The Battery saver feature can be set to turn on automatically or can be turned on manually. You can also customize the feature by choosing which apps are allowed to run in the background when Batter Saver is on.
IMPORTANT: Desktop computers do not use internal batteries and therefore will not list Battery saver as an option in the System screen.
Follow these steps to setup and use the Battery saver feature.
NOTE: While still listed in the interface, the Battery saver feature will be disabled if you are currently connected to power via the AC adapter.
- Click the Start button, and in the Start menu, click Settings.
NOTE: The Windows Logo + I key combination will also take you to the Settings screen.
- In the SETTINGS window, click System.
- In the SYSTEM screen, on the left column, click Battery saver.
- In the BATTERY SAVER screen, under Overview, the current battery life remaining and estimated battery time remaining will be listed.
NOTE: To see the amount of battery use per application, click Battery use.
- Under Battery saver is currently:, click the slider to toggle between Off and On.
NOTE: By default, if the Battery saver is set to Off it will turn On automatically when the battery falls below the 20% charge level.
- Click Battery saver settings.
- In the BATTERY SAVER SETTINGS window, adjust the settings according to your preference:
- A check in the box next to Turn battery saver on automatically... allows the Battery saver feature to automatically turn on at the specified battery charge level. Removing the check will prevent the Battery saver feature from turning on automatically.
- Click a point along the dotted line to specify at which charge level the Battery saver feature will turn on automatically (if enabled).
- A check in the box next to Allow push notifications... will allow apps to continue to receive notifications even while the Battery saver feature is on.
- A check in the box next to Lower screen brightness... will allow the brightness to be reduced while the Battery saver feature is on. Removing the check will prevent that action from occurring.
- Click the + (Plus) button next to Add an app to specify an application that you wish to allow to run while the Battery saver feature in on.