How to perform a system recovery using the VAIO Care version 6 software.
The VAIO Care version 6 software can be used to restore the computer to the original factory software configuration. Follow the procedure below to run a system recovery:
WARNING: All data, settings, and programs added to the computer will be deleted. During this procedure you will have a chance to back up your data. Sony does not guarantee your personal data can be backed up and restored properly.
- Before performing a recovery, check for software and driver updates available online through the Drivers & Software link on this page. Also, check for knowledge base solutions available through the FAQs & Solutions link on this page.
- This model does not require Recovery Discs. Recovery data is included on a special partition of the hard drive. That said, it is highly recommended to create a set of Recovery Discs .
- If the operating system will not start and no other troubleshooting can be performed, a system recovery can be performed by starting the computer and pressing the F10 key.
- It is recommended to connect the AC adapter to the computer so power is not interrupted.
- It is recommended to disconnect all external devices, such as printers, network cables, cameras, external hard drives or flash drives.
- Close all open programs.
- Click the Start button and then click All Programs.
- In the All Programs menu, click the VAIO Care folder and then click VAIO Care.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, or click Yes.
- In the VAIO Care window, in the left pane, click Recovery & restore.
- Under Recovery & restore, click Recovery.
- In the Recovery window, click Recover Computer.
- In the VAIO Care window, click the Yes button.
NOTE: The computer will restart.
- In the VAIO Care Rescue window, click Start recovery wizard.
- In the Do you need to rescue your data? window, click Yes, I'd like to rescue my data.
NOTE: If you do not have any data on your computer that you need to back up, click the Skip Rescue button and proceed to step 15.
- Connect an external storage device to the computer, such as a USB hard drive or thumb drive.
- In the Select Rescue type window, click Easy rescue.
NOTE: If you would like to manually select files to back up, click Custom Rescue and then follow the on-screen instructions.
NOTE: The software will automatically detect your data.
- Click to select the drive where you would like to back up your data and then click the Next button.
NOTE: This screen displays the amount of disc space required and the amount of free space on the external drive.
- In the Confirm options and start rescue window, click the Start Rescue button.
NOTE: A progress window will show the status of the backup.
- In the Rescue has completed successfully window, click the Next button.
- In the Are you sure you want to start recovery? window, click to select Yes, I'm sure and then click the Start Recovery button.
NOTE: A status window is displayed indicating the progress of the different applications. No action is required. This process may take up to 2 hours and the computer may restart several times.
- In the Recovery complete window, click the Restart button.
NOTE: The computer will restart.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the operating system and complete the system recovery.