How to backup a Windows 8 computer before downgrading to Windows 7.
The Windows Backup utility that was present in the Windows 7 operating system is still present in Windows 8, it has just been renamed to Windows 7 File Recovery. Follow these steps to use access and use the Windows 7 File Recovery utility to create a backup that can then be restored within the Windows 7 operating system.
NOTE: Because the Windows 7 File Recovery backup will attempt to be saved on an external hard drive or flash media drive, one of those types of drives will need to be connected and set up on the computer before starting this procedure.
- Point to (but do not click) the lower-right or top-right corner of the screen, and then click to select the Search charm.
NOTE: The Windows Logo + W key combination will also take you to the Search screen.
- In the Search screen, click the Settings category, and in the Search field, type Windows 7 File Recovery and then press the Enter key.
- In the Windows 7 File Recovery window, click Set up backup.
NOTE: If you have already set the Windows 7 File Recovery backup setting, click the Backup Now button and proceed to step 7.
- In the Set up backup window, click to select the desired Backup Destination drive.
- In the What do you want to back up screen, click the Next button.
- In the Review your backup settings screen, click the Save settings and run backup button.
- The backup process with start and, depending on the amount of data and settings being backed up, may take sever minutes to complete.
NOTE: Once the backup process is complete you can remove the external hard drive or flash media drive, if desired.