How to set up and use the Google Voice and Video Chat service with the built-in camera on my VAIO computer.
Follow these steps to set up and use the built-in camera with the Google™ Voice and Video Chat service.
- Before starting, you must first download and install the Google Voice and Video Chat software from the Google Web site at https://www.google.com/chat/video.
- Once the Google Voice and Video Chat software installation procedure is complete, restart the computer .
- In the new Windows User Interface (UI) Start screen, click the Desktop tile.
- On the Desktop, click the Internet Explorer tile.
In the Internet Explorer screen, go to the http://www.Gmail.com web site.
- Sign in to a Google account.
- If you have an active Google account, sign in using the appropriate Username and Password, and then click the Sign In button.
- If you do not have an active Google account, either click the Create an account button or follow the instructions at https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount?service=talk to create one.
- In the Gmail window, click to select the user you wish to chat with.
- A user must have the Google Voice and Video Chat utility installed in order to receive a video chat invitation.
- There will be a Camera icon indicating if a user has the Google Voice and Video Chat utility installed.
- In the [User] Chat box, click More, and then click Start video chat.
- The user you have selected will receive a notification and be prompted to accept the Video Chat invitation.
- Once the selected user accepts the invitation, the Video Chat session will begin.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot if you are receiving no video when using Google Voice and Video Chat service.
NOTE: This issue can occur if the Sony® Visual Communication Camera is not set as the default device. Follow this procedure to set the Sony Visual Communication Camera as the default device and resolve the issue:
- On the Gmail Web site, click the Settings icon, and from the menu, click Settings.
- At the Settings screen, click the Chat tab.
- On the Chat tab, in the Voice and video chat section, verify that the Sony Visual Communication Camera is set as the default camera.
- Click the Save Changes button.
IMPORTANT: Contact Google for assistance with any other issues with the Google Voice and Video Chat service.